X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Moebius (Revell) Skipjack Build

Opening the box I found a wonderfully detailed kit, nice work to all envolved. Even though this one is destined to be RC’d, I can see that even a static builder would enjoy having this sub on display.
    This sub had the common issues that I have read about like one quarter being slightly warped,

Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_01_a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	102607

or the heavy areas where the sprue attaches to the hull.

Name:	Skipjack_build_01_b.jpg
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	102608Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_01_c.jpg
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	102609

Both of these do not concern me. It can be fixed. There was one thing I saw, the grating in the lower forward quarter, all the way at the bow (left in picture) was soft in detail, not the crisp edges like the others.

Name:	Skipjack_build_01_d.jpg
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	102610

If I was not going to cut this out or this was to be a static model, this might bother me.

At the time I opened the box I was working on the Aluminaut. So, I put rubber bands around the quarter pieces and the sail. And kept it in the garage hoping it will help with the warping (although the warping was not that bad - slight pressure and it came together).

Name:	Skipjack_build_02.jpg
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	102611

I have been putting building this off too long and would like to take this to the Keystone Regatta (even unpainted if I must). So time to read the instructions - Mike Caswell did a great compilation of David Merriman’s cabal reports here: http://support.caswellplating.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/369/18/the-moebius-skipjack-model-instructions

I will be following this document (for the most part).

Name:	Skipjack_build_03.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	102612

and marked up the sub per the Skipjack instructions downloaded to make sure I understood the instructions and what size drills I needed. Frankly, I had a tough time just reading the instructions - some of the terms used I was not familiar with and working with sub in hand helped a lot.

Name:	Skipjack_build_04.jpg
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	102613Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_05.jpg
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	102614

Name:	Skipjack_build_05a.jpg
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	102615Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_05b.jpg
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	102616

Name:	Skipjack_build_06.jpg
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	102617

I must have lost my (M) Hull Rudder Hole Blanking Disks because I could not find them. Also, on this model, one rudder hole was larger than the other - Any of you have that too?
    Using some sprue I heated over a flame and squished it to make a fatter section, larger than the holes. Then chucked this up in the lathe and trimmed it to fit the two rudder holes.

Name:	Skipjack_build_07.jpg
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	102618

Note - if you do not have a lathe, no big deal - I find myself finding reasons to use the lathe because it is so fun, but P.T.L. (prior to lathe) I would have done one of several ways to make a plug like fattening a piece of sprue and hand sanding using a drill or heating and pulling a section of sprue just past the fattened area, that taper would eventually seal the hole and using a proper cohesive glue the sprue melts together with the hull. Then you can just fill the hole with Evercoat filler. Anyways my point is, do not stop because I mention a tool you may not have.

Gluing my plugs in, I used Plastruct liquid glue. It melts the plastics together (cohesive) and once dry your piece becomes one with the hull. Once dry, trim and sand.

Name:	Skipjack_build_08.jpg
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	102619

Drilled out the new rudder holes per the instructions and temporarily put in the hardware to test it out. The arch in my rear dive planes yolk was bent out of shape making the plane have a funny dihedral in it. Since the metal is soft, gently pulled it until everything lined up.

Name:	Skipjack_build_09.jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	102620Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_10.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	102621
    Then made the pushrods (I love the pliers for making a Z bend)

Name:	Skipjack_build_11.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	102622Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_11a.jpg
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	102623
    Then continued to trim bits off. I intend to leave the hull stand openings open and use them in the cradle to lock my sub in (Mike Dory does that and I like the idea).

Name:	Skipjack_build_12a.jpg
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	102624Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_12b.jpg
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	102625

Marked the Z cuts for the hull. Did not have the tool David used to mark the hull, so I improvised (sorry it is burry).

Name:	Skipjack_build_13.jpg
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	102626

Name:	Skipjack_build_13a.jpg
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	102627Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_13b.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	102628

Page 6 on the instructions (or Skipjack cabal part 6) says:

Name:	Skipjack_build_14.jpg
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	102629

But a 7/16 hole is HUGE especially when it is compared to the holes mentioned to be drilled out.

Name:	Skipjack_build_14a.jpg
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	102630

So the document should be corrected to say 7/64”

Name:	Skipjack_build_14b.jpg
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	102631

If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Continuing on the marking, following the instructions. The datum is the center of the forward most pin that the sail fits unto.

Name:	Skipjack_build_15.jpg
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	82324Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_16.jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	82325
    When I cut out the sail plane opening, it did not look like the photo in the instructions, no not because I cut mine out crummy (and I did), but my opening seemed smaller. This is a good time to say, I am not an expert.

Name:	Skipjack_build_17.jpg
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	82326

I remeasured and my lines were where they are supposed to be. Then I did some measuring off the picture I saw a possible reason.

Name:	Skipjack_build_17a.jpg
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	82327

So, with this new view, I marked up the area again and cut it out.

Name:	Skipjack_build_17b.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	82328

Now the cut out looks closer to the picture.

Name:	Skipjack_build_17c.jpg
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	82329

Continuing on it is time to trim the pins or "tit" and drill a hole in the two locations of the pin in the forward upper quarter. I am not going into super detail because those downloaded instructions are where the meat of the install is. Aside from a couple of discrepancies it is a good document (even though I have to read it over several times)

Name:	Skipjack_build_18.jpg
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	82330

The sail needs to be opened up. Following the directions, marked off the areas to be cut.

Name:	Skipjack_build_19.jpg
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	82331Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_20.jpg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	82332

Then cut it out, did a better job at cutting out - still need to improve.

Name:	Skipjack_build_21.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	82333

Since the picture that David made does not show the alignment pin in the opening, I will remove it. Also cut out an opening for air to escape from the exhaust fairing (not finished). When I see all the ribbing in this exhaust fairing, I wonder if I should smooth out the roof or inside top of the fairing (after gluing) to allow air out?

Name:	Skipjack_build_22.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	82334

The mounting foundations need to be marked for where the hole will need to be made for the 4-40 screw will attach. There are two forward and aft. Here is the forward mounting bracket.

Name:	Skipjack_build_23.jpg
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	82335

Used a Sharpie marker to indicate where the hole is.

Name:	Skipjack_build_24.jpg
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	82336Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_25.jpg
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	82337

On the aft mounting foundation there was a small nub that needed to be trimmed off.

Name:	Skipjack_build_26.jpg
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	82338

Like the forward mounting foundation, mark where you need to drill.

Name:	Skipjack_build_27.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	82339

Later, I will carve out the air passage later. There are some steps I skipped (like drive shaft and putting in the threading because I need to go out and buy the parts. If I can get them locally that will be great. If not, it will mean the sub will not be ready for Keystone (July 21st).
    Last edited by trout; 07-14-2013, 01:05 AM.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

The aft mounting foundation is marked up.

Name:	Skipjack_build_28.jpg
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	82342

I am still thinking about those ribs in the exhaust fairing trapping air and there is a pin here too that needs trimming. It needs to have some part of the pin left in because it is the stop for the mounting foundation. There is a lot of air going through this section (there are 3 - 1/4” holes to facilitate air leaving the hull). The bottle neck seems to be where the pin is. There is a voice yelling at me in the back of my mind “This is not rocket science”

Name:	Skipjack_build_29.jpg
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	82343

Estimating the areas that need to be extracted on both halves of the sail.

Name:	Skipjack_build_30.jpg
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	82344

Path is clear on this side.

Name:	Skipjack_build_31.jpg
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	82345

A little harder to see, but there are remnants of the pin for key and an easy exit for air. As far as the ribs go, I will smooth out the top after it is glued together.

Name:	Skipjack_build_32.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	82346

Sail plane install, using the instructions I marked as I read. Marking up the sub seemed to be the best way for me to understand.

Name:	Skipjack_build_33.jpg
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	82347

Trimmed off the areas

Name:	Skipjack_build_34.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	82348Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_35.jpg
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	82349

With a small amount of sanding to the outer edge of the sail plane bushing, it fit into the original sail plane hole. Then I used CA. In hindsight, I should have put the fittings kit sails in before gluing because a small misalignment occurred that made on plane slightly tilted aft. I corrected it by filing the hole to the correct angle (we are talking about a degree or two).

Name:	Skipjack_build_36.jpg
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	82350

Placed the lower bell crank in and tested range. Tacked shaft retainers will test more. I have a tightness in the sails in their bushings (even with all other parts removed).

Name:	Skipjack_build_37.jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	82351Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_38.jpg
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	82352

So, my plan is to take a brass rod or tube, rough it up and try to ream the bushing out a little. Will let you know how it goes.

Comment

• alad61
        Commander
        • Jan 2012

Looking good so far Tom :biggrin:

I removed the lower locating/indexing pin in the sail otherwise you loose the abilty to flex the sail if you need to. As for the ribs in the exhaust fairing I haven't had any trapped air issues with mine. But I see what you mean about the risk, though the ribs are so small they'd only trap very small bubbles and with it's movement under water they probably get washed out. Also I left the pin at the aft end of the exhaust fairing on the hull to help stop it flexing when handling the boat.
        Cheers,
        Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
        But to dream is a reality

Comment

• alad61
          Commander
          • Jan 2012

The most important thing when gluing the sail together is no gluing the bottom seam or you take away the flex ability. And do make those planes sit the sail sit with a level cord cause it don't take much angle to to alter its dive or surface angle...
          Cheers,
          Alec.

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

TOM, your doing a much better job documenting assm. procedure than I am. Your thread will be much more help to others to clear up some questions that are bound to come up. At the rate your going, looks like youll be done soon, whereas im still in first gear.
            IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
              TOM, your doing a much better job documenting assm. procedure than I am. Your thread will be much more help to others to clear up some questions that are bound to come up. At the rate your going, looks like youll be done soon, whereas im still in first gear.
              Agreed! Excellent work, Tom. Keep at it.

M
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Thanks guys! It is your shoulders I build on and rely on for guidance. I am not an expert and people wanting to build a Skipjack will learn from ALL of our postings.
                Alec, There are three indexing pins on the bottom of the sail, all or just the center one is removed? And thank you about where to glue. I was playing with the flex of the sail to see just how much I could glue it.

The reaming out of the sail bushing worked great (I will post pictures later). The Klik-on will hold for a while, but will disconnect (maybe I am over traveling it or being too forceful), but because of the excellent design, I can repair or make adjustments - since the sail bell cranks can be removed.

Comment

• alad61
                  Commander
                  • Jan 2012

Tom the only indexing pin I left on for the sail was the stern one at the end of the exhaust fairing. Between the two screws and the indexing lip on the forward sail area it's a snug firm hold for the sail proper. I had a similar issue with the klick-on for the sail planes so I dialed back the epa on the tx. As I mentioned when cruising at PD you don't need much throw on those planes to dive or surface the boat.
                  Cheers,
                  Alec.

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

Alec,
                    Thank you for the clarification, I will correct that in my build! I will see how the klick-on holds out (thinking of a solution or enhancement). What I noticed is, when it disconnects, it has the sail plane in a dive configuration. Again thank you!

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

The piece of brass tube that I used to ream the sail plane bushings was misplaced, so here is the cheaper version of what I did.
                      I took a piece of 1/8” brass tube and using the coarsest grit paper (this sanding drum was in front of me), you could use a file or a concrete wall for that matter.

Name:	Skipjack_build_39.jpg
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	82354

Pull the sandpaper along the length of brass tube. For the sail, the grooves that were cut into the tube spanned the distance of both bushings.

Name:	Skipjack_build_40.jpg
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	82355

All that is needed is nice clean, deep scratches.

Name:	Skipjack_build_41.jpg
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	82356

Then run the tube through both halves sail plane bushings and, with everything aligned, gently spin the tube. The scratches and grooves will act like a file. Remove tube and test fit. Repeat as necessary.

Taking Alec’s advice, the pin in the front is marked (bottom corner in photo).

Name:	Skipjack_build_42.jpg
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	82357

I only removed one half, so that the receiving alignment pin can serve as the stop for the mounting foundation.

Name:	Skipjack_build_43.jpg
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	82358

Pin gone.

Waiting for parts to come in and wanted to get some test molds/casts on the next version of 808 camera case.

Name:	Skipjack_build_44.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	82359

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Now thats revealing, none of us would have dared suggest that you were a LEGO man.
                        IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

What are you saying Mark? :-)
                          I love Legos! But I felt guilty "borrowing" my son's blocks on a more permanent basis. When we were at Disneyland recently, we went to the Lego store and I bought a small bucket of blocks.

Comment

• alad61
                            Commander
                            • Jan 2012

Way to go. Lego blocks have a miriad of uses but sadly as I don't have such skills plus I'm also lazy. So I have been checking out these on e-vil bay...

I am thinkingof getting a couple of cameras & one of those before our subregatta in October.
                            Cheers,
                            Alec.

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

Wow, that is cool and cheaper than the rubber I am pouring.........wish I had known about it earlier. Thanks for the link. I may need to get one.
                              Peace,
                              Tom

Comment

Working...