X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oztruck
    Commander
    • May 2010

German Type 212

Got my modern German 212 to a point where it can get wet.

It went for a swim in my test tank piggybacking a waterproof video camera.

Here is the video.

Cheers Chris
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Have you tried it without the weight of the camera? It might be that causing the sub to rock when on the surface, would certainly amplify any slight imbalance.

Comment

• MFR1964
      Detail Nut of the First Order
      • Sep 2010

Looks good to me, besides the rocking, just like Subculture suggested removing the camera will take away at least some of your problems, maybe it's a idea to drag the camera behind the boat, so the influence will be at a minimum.
      You're at least faster with the build than me, still working on the hull, it will take some time before i got mine wet.

Greetings Manfred.
      I went underground

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Oz, you sneaky so-and-so: you ran the LPB induction line up one of the masts, didn't you?!

Good looking work there. A joy to watch.

Clean your tank!

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• oztruck
          Commander
          • May 2010

Thanks for the encouragement gentlemen, the camera does add to the problem and going straight to full power does not help at all. LOL

Manfred never stop your quest for fine detail and replace it with speed of build.

When I was a kid I could build a kit in 2 nights including paint, then as I improved my skills the same kit could take over 100 hours to build.

David yes the LPB induction line is in the center mast. I do this on all of my boats. I use 2 sections of an old TX Ariel , so it can be extended when needed they have a very thin walls, are fairly light but still strong enough for the job. Works for me.

Cheers Chris.

Comment

• MFR1964
            • Sep 2010

Yeah, speedbuilding sounds familiair to me, did the same in the past, called them weekend kits, later on they started to add the PE parts, which offcourse slow you down but added a lot of detail, which you never could find back due to my poor paintingqualities, now these days i've got me a airbrush, much better.

Running the LPB through the mast is a clever move, they are extended anyway, i'm curious how you trimmed her will full tanks, did you left some spare for going deeper, or is she limited with the tank completely full?

Greetings Manfred.
            I went underground

Comment

• oztruck
              Commander
              • May 2010

The deepest pond around here is only a maximum of 5 feet. I haven't tried it out there yet but I guess the way it is trimmed it would go the the bottom and sit there. To get it back up at 3 foot there should be enough lift by filling the ballast with liquid gas/air or with all panes set to full rise it will drive to the surface.
              Once it breaches, hit the snort pump and with only a very small amount of pumped air will stop it from going down again. That is why I have the snort inlet sitting as high as I can. Today I took it to my favourite pond which is only about 2 1/2 foot deep and cruses down to the bottom very nicely and without the emergency gas I was able to drive it back to the surface using only the rear planes and with careful use of the snort pump it is easy to get it to run at periscope depth. It was porpoising to start with which turned out to be the sail planes out of adjustment. Once readjusted the boat ran very well. BUT once I put the pedal to the metal it is VERY hard to control, it must do a scale 80 knots at least. It is a great fun boat and I am looking forward to Tweaking it and getting it to look the part.
              Sorry but there is no video of to days fun, forgot to turn it on.

Cheers Chris

Comment

• Subculture
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

I've had a turn at the sticks with an Engel 212 and found that very easy to control at low or high speed (about 6-7knots submerged). It's a bigger boat than the little 1/96th scale version, but the dynamics should be similar.

I found the boat is more sensitive to pitch than yaw, and that may be due to the lower aspect of the hull when viewed from the side versus the top. You also have to slow down to about 4 knots to turn, unless you want the boat to turn on its side owing to sail induced roll!

Have you got a leveller fitted?

Comment

• oztruck
                  Commander
                  • May 2010

It has a leveler and yes the pitch is very sensitive. Today was its first swim apart from my 6' X 4' test tank and I am more than happy with the (out of the box) way it performed. After some fine tuning(tweaking) it should be a great little runner. Thanks again to Mike and David for the chance to have this boat.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    • Aug 2008

No chance involved, Chris. You won that prize fair-and-square! You took that awful Lindberg kit and turned it into something worth looking at -- and made it r/c to boot!

Mike and I are tickled pink to see what you and Manfred are doing with your respective 212's. It's a thrill to see our contest produce such fruit.

Mike and I have one of these little screamers in our respective fleets, and they are a ball to drive around -- not for the inattentive driver, that's for sure.

David

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0083.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	66819

Name:	DSCN0077.jpg
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	66820

Name:	DSCN0080.jpg
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	66818
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 03-17-2012, 10:17 AM.
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• oztruck
                      Commander
                      • May 2010

The 212 is just about up to speed. It runs very well but you can see that for your self.

The video

Comment

• redboat219
                        Admiral
                        • Dec 2008

Nice frothy wake.
                        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• oztruck
                          Commander
                          • May 2010

We had a club run on the weekend where I took the video. Also got some photos of my boats on dry land.

There was even a RC-ed ice burg that the "Gosunda" ran into

Cheers Chris

Comment

• MFR1964
                            • Sep 2010

Very nice Chris, you just gave me a peek into the future, she seems to be very zippy, you can turn hard in the corners, must be the result of the X tail.
                            When your running straight it seems that the prop is catching air, she tends to dive down with the nose, had the same issue with the V80, some trim up on the divingplanes solved the problem, don't know if the same will be possible because of the X tail.

Love your other models, can you make some pics from the inside of the 212? , interested how you solved it with the SD, it's still early enough for me to alter some things if needed.

Greetings Manfred.
                            I went underground

Comment

• Subculture
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

Don't they trim these boats a little stern down on the 1:1 versions to help give the prop a little more bite, that may help with the prop aeration.

Comment

Working...