• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zhuravlik
    Lieutenant
    • Mar 2011

Advanced sail on Trumpeter Seawolf?

Hello lads,

I've read that Seawolf class was slated to have a sail similar to the russian sails but admirals feared that could have been mistaken for a russian sub.
    I'm talking about Advanced Composite Sail:
    ftp://ftp.rta.nato.int/PubFullText/R.../MP-089-33.pdf
    I've completed my Trumpeter Seawolf, wich was my second sub, to represent LSV-1 Kokanee, a 1/4 model sub that US NAVY uses for testing purposes on lake Pend Oreille.
    This model is overall light grey with dayglo moving surfaces and indeed this summer had been harrassed by a big pike.
    Now, this livery is very visible and that's what I want because I've lost my first sub, a Kilo, under a floating pontoon.
    I've been in the water for a whole hour without being able to localize it, I could hear it but not see it.
    I love this model but is really boring with it's livery, so I would like to characterize it a bit more by installing an advanced sail.

There are many shapes that had been evaluated with computational fluid dinamics, but only one was choosed for testing on Kokanee.
    The problem is that this sail is huge and I'm concerned about handling impact that could have if implemented on my model and there is another shape floating on web,clearly based on the original design, but very little info 'bout it.
    Would be fun to speculate about possibility of other unsung tests on this lake!

Francesco
    Attached Files
Working...