X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wizzard033
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Sep 2023

3D printed 1:48 Type VII C in PLA and Resin

Last week I started printing this Type VII C model I found. I used PLA and printed it hollow so that I can fiberglass the interior.
    Attached Files
  • Wizzard033
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Sep 2023

I'm still trying figure out how to post properly here and now I've inadvertently closed the window for attachments and can't figure out how to restore it to finish uploading my pics

Comment

• Wizzard033
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Sep 2023

Comment

• Wizzard033
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Sep 2023

I still need to reprint the conning tower and guns

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

The hull looks O.K. - You are rocking away at this.
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Wizzard033
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Sep 2023

Originally posted by trout
            The hull looks O.K. - You are rocking away at this.
            It needs quite a bit of prep work before i can epoxy the outside, the model wasn't that great but it would be a good learning experience. I already started making some brass linkage for the dive planes.

I'm actually very interested in Printing some of the models Bob sells in resin but I wanted to tinker on this one first. I may try printing this one in ABS like resin as well.
            Last edited by Wizzard033; 09-20-2023, 06:24 PM.

Comment

• redboat219
              Admiral
              • Dec 2008

Wouldn't the exothermic reaction of the curing resin cause the the PLA to deform?
              Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Wizzard033
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Sep 2023

Originally posted by redboat219
                Wouldn't the exothermic reaction of the curing resin cause the the PLA to deform?
                I plan to find out. I figured on only applying a 2oz cloth on the interior. I'm going to use Bob Smith 30 minute epoxy.
                if it doen't work this way my 13 year old son has his eye on it even as a static display in his room. He wants to paint and detail a Type VII badly. lol

I might even try printing it on my resin printer in the same manor
                Last edited by Wizzard033; 09-20-2023, 10:32 PM.

Comment

• Wizzard033
                  Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                  • Sep 2023

Originally posted by redboat219
                  Wouldn't the exothermic reaction of the curing resin cause the PLA to deform?
                  Looks like I have time today to test the epoxy resin on a section of das boot. I'll be back

Comment

• biggsgolf
                    Captain
                    • Jan 2020

Where did you find the files?

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Wizzard033

I plan to find out. I figured on only applying a 2oz cloth on the interior. I'm going to use Bob Smith 30 minute epoxy.
                      I recently purchased some Bob Smith 30 minute epoxy, had maybe 12 minutes of working time. Maybe cool the two parts might extend the working time. Just a heads up.
                      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• JHapprich
                        Captain
                        • Oct 2017

Is that epoxy long term - stable in water, i.e. is it just like 5-min epoxy?

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

I have not tested it, I believe it is stable in water. I think the short time it spends in water will not impact it and with a coat of paint even less so.

Comment

• CC Clarke
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Aug 2020

I've worked with a lot of adhesives in the aerospace world, and this is one of my all-time favorites for slow-cure, 2-part epoxys. This is lab-grade, clear epoxy, which has a 1/2 hour working time, and cures within 12 hours - faster if you use an oven.

Hardman makes a five-minute (red label) epoxy, but it can't come close to the (green) label product for low heat generation, high adhesion, and hardness. Excellent stuff.

Amazon.com: Tools & More Hardman Double Bubble Green Crystal Clear (Clear as Water) Epoxy 100 Packs (#04004) Model: 4004 : Industrial & Scientific

Comment

• neitosub
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Nov 2021

Originally posted by Wizzard033

Looks like I have time today to test the epoxy resin on a section of das boot. I'll be back
                              Would be curious to see whether the epoxy-reinforced PLA will warp (or not) under sun exposure. Looking forward to your results!

Comment

Working...