Gwen's Nautilus design as described by Jules Verne - Discussion- Everyone welcome.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GwenB
    Lieutenant
    • Oct 2022

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Remove the heat-shrink from all devices that use it to cover the PCB; pull the wet servos, open them up to expose the PCB, motor, and potentiometer; If the ESC is potted, your good; yank the motor. Dump everything into a bucket of fresh water and vigorously scrub the conductor side of all PCB's with a non-metallic, stiff brush (a glass fiber brush is ideal).

Click image for larger version Name:	DSCF1227.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.8 KB ID:	168232

Click image for larger version Name:	DSCF1229.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.1 KB ID:	168233

Dunk again into the fresh water then blow down with medium-pressure air.

Click image for larger version Name:	DSCF1200.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.9 KB ID:	168231

Place everything on a cookie sheet and bake at 150-degrees for 24 hours. It's vital that you place a non-conductive barrier between the PCB's and cookie sheet or you'll slick all the IC's. Do not bake the servo cases, gears, and the like or they'll melt!

Click image for larger version Name:	DSCF1236.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.4 KB ID:	168234

Click image for larger version Name:	DSCF1237.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.4 KB ID:	168235

Install fresh heat-shrink on the PCB's; reassemble the servos; remount the motor. Test for correct operation.

Fix the foundation of that seal body. And sin no more.

David
    Thanks for the instructions David. Looks like I have some work to do.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by GwenB

Thanks for the instructions David. Looks like I have some work to do.
      ... the sooner, the better.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• GwenB
        Lieutenant
        • Oct 2022

David, What do you mean about the ESC being potted? I have the one that Bob included with my SubDriver 300 V2. Also is it really essential to bake the components? I'm a little nervous about putting them in my gas oven whose temperature control may or may not be accurate.

I have pulled everything apart and am deciding what to do next.

OK - just checked and the oven only goes down to 175 F. I think I'll let them air dry or use my hair dryer and try to blow water out of crevises with canned air unless you have a better suggestion. I could pack them in a container full of rice or dessicant packs to dry I suppose.
        Last edited by GwenB; 01-02-2023, 12:27 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

David, What do you mean about the ESC being potted? I have the one that Bob included with my SubDriver 300 V2. Also is it really essential to bake the components? I'm a little nervous about putting them in my gas oven whose temperature control may or may not be accurate.

I have pulled everything apart and am deciding what to do next.

OK - just checked and the oven only goes down to 175 F. I think I'll let them air dry or use my hair dryer and try to blow water out of crevises with canned air unless you have a better suggestion. I could pack them in a container full of rice or dessicant packs to dry I suppose.
          Potting is the practice of encapsulating the PCB in a solid brick of resin (usually epoxy). I'm not familiar with the ESC's Bob provides with his SubDrivers.

Is it essential to bake the wet components? I believe so. But that's just me... what the hell do I know, I barely got out of high-school.

Preheat your oven to the minimum 175-degrees, place a thermometer inside and wait for the temperature to drop to the safe range, then quickly place the cookie-sheet supported PCB's in there and let everything sit till the oven returns to ambient temperature. Or make a plenum out of a small cardboard box and discharge your hairdryer into it for a day -- place a thermometer in the plenum to insure you don't exceed the safe minimum temperature.

You have to get ALL the water off the chips quickly, before it dries and deposits minerals onto the IC chips many, tightly packed solder pads -- that's how a PCB is killed: the minerals short out the device by providing a conductive path between adjacent pads. The blow-down and heating have to be done IMMEDIATELY after the fresh-water dunking and scrubbing.

Canned air is not air. The gas is likely a hydrocarbon and comes out of the container cold. You want heat or at least ambient temperature air to blow out and/or evaporate any small amounts of water that get under the IC's, into the motors, chokes, mechanical switches, and potentiometers.

I recommend, if you're serious about this hobby, to invest in a proper air-compressor.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Bob Gato
            Captain
            • Feb 2019

Gwen if the ESC is a modern style Mtroniks Viper...It is waterproof (as per the company) and I actually have used one in the wet for about 6 mos so far.
            My two cents: when you bake the components, think like water or I should say water vapor- set the PC boards such that the rising water vapor doesn't just condense on something above where its rising up from.. Like with the board and its components facing up or better yet to the side. If the oven has a convection option use that-the fan will dry things out like the Santa Ana Winds in SoCal.
            Last edited by Bob Gato; 01-02-2023, 12:57 PM.

Comment

• GwenB
              Lieutenant
              • Oct 2022

I carefully disassembled, cleaned, and dried all the components with a blow-dryer last night. I left everything to air out over night and this morning I reconnected everything and am pleased to report that every single component is working properly. No problems at all. Thanks guys!

Now - Who can tell me what is the best way to keep the servo bushings nice and tight in the bulkheads without risk of what just happened to me happening again? I'm thinking either silicone glue or CA glue.
              Last edited by GwenB; 01-02-2023, 05:35 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I carefully disassembled, cleaned, and dried all the components with a blow-dryer last night. I left everything to air out over night and this morning I reconnected everything and am pleased to report that every single component is working properly. No problems at all. Thanks guys!

Now - Who can tell me what is the best way to keep the servo bushings nice and tight in the bulkheads without risk of what just happened to me happening again? I'm thinking either silicone glue or CA glue.
                Report back on the operation of these devices this time, next year.
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

Gwen,

Happy to hear that everything seems to have gone well! :-))

Could you post up a photo of servo bushing and the bulkhead? Might help so you get some good suggestions!?

Rob
                  "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• GwenB
                    Lieutenant
                    • Oct 2022

Originally posted by rwtdiver

Gwen,

Happy to hear that everything seems to have gone well! :-))

Could you post up a photo of servo bushing and the bulkhead? Might help so you get some good suggestions!?

Rob
                    Thanks Rob, Sure I'll post a photo shortly.

Comment

• GwenB
                      Lieutenant
                      • Oct 2022

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Report back on the operation of these devices this time, next year.
                      Will do, and if I forget you can feel free to remind me.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

Will do, and if I forget you can feel free to remind me.
                        Gwen,

It sounds like you have done it all correct! Getting everything out of the cylinder to start drying out. When this happened to me i also used my airbrush compressor on LOW pressure to blow around the connections and all the nooks and crannies to help dry things out. Using a hair dryer will help to dry out the moisture that may have condensed on the inside of some of the electrical component's cases, then used electrical spray to help in cleaning up and dry the electrical circuits. This method has always worked for me, and I am not saying it is right or wrong! I know how (speaking from experience) disappointing a flooded WTC can be!

Rob
                        "Firemen can stand the heat."​

I am at a loss for the right words at this point. As I stated above on my situation with a WTC that leaked, and the entire cylinder was full of water. I followed the procedures that I listed above as to how I APPROCHED the situation. It worked for me! The WTC (Subdriver) I am references is now three years old and has been in 4 other submarines since and I have not had one problem in 3 years. I am very sure that circumstances with leakage of WTC (Subdriver) are not in any way exactly the same. And as stated: I am not saying that the procedures I used is the right way or the wrong way!

I in no way approached the solution to my water leak issue as extensively as what David suggested. All I know is what I did worked for me! Not one way of doing something is a do all for everything or everyone.

The above is what I did to solve my issue with the water leak, and it worked for me!! Did not mean to step on Davids toes!!

Rob

Comment

• GwenB
                          Lieutenant
                          • Oct 2022

OK Rob, here are a couple photos of the bulkhead and servo pushrod bushings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230102_150643.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	168256
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20230102_150659.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	168257

Comment

• Bob Gato
                            Captain
                            • Feb 2019

Those look like cup seals in a brass housing with a bushing behind...Remove the cup seal and clean-Clean- CLEAN the seating area (q-tip and Iso)...polish the brass rod shiny ..Clean the new cupseals of parting agent with alcohol and glue in new seals using good grade 100% silicone RTV. lube the brass rod and seals with any of the magic greases that everyone swears by on this forum...Did they come apart? I like to leave the curl from the tube cutter to prevent the seal from coming out with out anything but a strong pull and a twist-if its not there think about gluing (CA or epoxy) in the next size down of brass tube to act as a retainer for the seal.

Update: I can see the curl on the bushing side but don't see any thing to retain the cupseal on the other side-that is a lot to ask of the RTV. I would def think about gluing in a 3/32-1/8" sliver of brass tube over the seal-
                            Last edited by Bob Gato; 01-02-2023, 08:27 PM.

Comment

• GwenB
                              Lieutenant
                              • Oct 2022

Originally posted by Bob Gato
                              Those look like cup seals in a brass housing with a bushing behind...Remove the cup seal and clean-Clean- CLEAN the seating area (q-tip and Iso)...polish the brass rod shiny ..Clean the new cupseals of parting agent with alcohol and glue in new seals using good grade 100% silicone RTV. lube the brass rod and seals with any of the magic greases that everyone swears by on this forum...Did they come apart? I like to leave the curl from the tube cutter to prevent the seal from coming out with out anything but a strong pull and a twist-if its not there think about gluing (CA or epoxy) in the next size down of brass tube to act as a retainer for the seal.
                              The entire outer bushing (the brass tube you can see on the outside) pushed out of the bulkhead so the water went right around the whole thing and through the hole in the bulkhead. The cup seal assembly seems ok but the outer tube is not sealed well enough in the bulkhead. And I plan to refit all my servo openings on the WTC to make sure this doesn't happen again. I'm thinking that I should use CA on the outer surface of the tube where it passes through the bulkhead so it's held in place. And then use silicone glue around the tube on the outside of the bulkhead to help seal any possible leaks around the tube. What do you think?
                              Last edited by GwenB; 01-02-2023, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Feb 2019

The entire outer bushing (the brass tube you can see on the outside) pushed out of the bulkhead so the water went right around the whole thing and through the hole in the bulkhead. The cup seal assembly seems ok but the outer tube is not sealed well enough in the bulkhead. And I plan to refit all my servo openings on the WTC to make sure this doesn't happen again. I'm thinking that I should use CA on the outer surface of the tube where it passes through the bulkhead so it's held in place. And then use silicone glue around the tube on the outside of the bulkhead to help seal any possible leaks around the tube. What do you think?
                                I see what you are saying about the cup seal housing not secured to the bulkhead. I have always used thin CA to secure the housing to the inside of my PLA 3D printed bulkheads, I then applied silicone around the EXSTERIOR portion of the brass housing coming out of the bulkhead. Not sure what material your bulkhead is made of, so you would need to see if CA would apply here or not!? It works great on PLA. If it will work just make sure you scuff up the outside of the bushing before installing.

Rob

Comment

Working...