Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1/48 3D printed I-400

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1/48 3D printed I-400

    I have been printing a large I-400 for one of my sons. He has been fascinated with the I-400 since seeing a YouTube video about them. At 1/48 scale this one chimes in as the second largest sub I have printed at 100" long with about a 12" beam. Hull is printed in ABS on my trusty Ender 5+ while the sail is resin printed. I will post up some additional stats later. I am leaving the bulk of the cleanup, sanding, filling, detailing, priming, painting and outfitting up to him so he can learn the process.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	20221124_195819.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.7 KB ID:	167073
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20221124_195828.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.5 KB ID:	167074
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20221124_200056.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.6 KB ID:	167075
    Last edited by SubDude; 11-25-2022, 01:33 AM.

  • #2
    Your son(s) are outstanding. Enjoyed our discussions and his passion to learn. Look forward to seeing him make it through the hands on and move beyond the theoretical stuff! He will be unstoppable.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

    Comment


    • #3
      Looking good Steve. How many spools did you use printing that? Your printer is a dam work horse. Best money you spent for that printer.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by trout View Post
        Your son(s) are outstanding. Enjoyed our discussions and his passion to learn. Look forward to seeing him make it through the hands on and move beyond the theoretical stuff! He will be unstoppable.
        Thank you Tom for sharing your sub knowledge with them.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Sinksalot View Post
          Looking good Steve. How many spools did you use printing that? Your printer is a dam work horse. Best money you spent for that printer.
          I actually lost track of the number of spools. Somewhere around 12? I still have to total the hours and of course I did not print the sail parts.

          Comment


          • #6
            Where did you get the STL files from?

            I have been looking for the files of this ship for a long time. Only found some basic ones online which didn't quite cut it. BTW: Not looking for a freebie, happy to buy them if they are for sale somewhere.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by tifosi12 View Post
              Where did you get the STL files from?

              I have been looking for the files of this ship for a long time. Only found some basic ones online which didn't quite cut it. BTW: Not looking for a freebie, happy to buy them if they are for sale somewhere.
              Hi tifosi12,

              Here is the files I used from Thingiverse!

              https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3078819

              I posted a photo of mine on this blog 6 posts above. And here is my build blog! Japanese Sen Toku I-401 Submarine Build - The Sub-drivers Forum (rc-sub.com)

              Rob

              Comment


              • #8
                Steve,

                I hope it was OK that I jumped your blog, and gave "tifosi12" information as to where I got my files for the i-400?

                Rob

                Comment


                • #9
                  Not a problem Rob. My files did come from a different source. I will let him chime in on the subject if he wishes as I have no say concerning the files.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by rwtdiver View Post

                    Hi tifosi12,

                    Here is the files I used from Thingiverse!

                    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3078819

                    I posted a photo of mine on this blog 6 posts above. And here is my build blog! Japanese Sen Toku I-401 Submarine Build - The Sub-drivers Forum (rc-sub.com)

                    Rob
                    Thanks mate. Yes, I knew about those files. Now reading the author's comment I notice he redid his original files. So I'll have to download this version.

                    Thanks also for the build thread. Will have to read that in detail.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by SubDude View Post
                      Not a problem Rob. My files did come from a different source. I will let him chime in on the subject if he wishes as I have no say concerning the files.
                      Yes, would still love your source if you care to share.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SubDude View Post
                        I have been printing a large I-400 for one of my sons. He has been fascinated with the I-400 since seeing a YouTube video about them. At 1/48 scale this one chimes in as the second largest sub I have printed at 100" long with about a 12" beam. Hull is printed in ABS on my trusty Ender 5+ while the sail is resin printed. I will post up some additional stats later. I am leaving the bulk of the cleanup, sanding, filling, detailing, priming, painting and outfitting up to him so he can learn the process.
                        What diameter is your SD?

                        ...somehow that sounds dirty. :) sorry
                        Last edited by tifosi12; 11-30-2022, 07:26 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by tifosi12 View Post

                          What diameter is your SD?

                          ...somehow that sounds dirty. :) sorry
                          In these bigger boats I use a modular system so no SD.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Another monster.
                            Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I'm still wondering what scale does this ship have to be to work with a 3" SD?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X