Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by RanSan
    Are the flap and the tip actuated separately? Do they move differently?
    I don't know this for sure. But, if you want to dampen out foil-roll and snap-roll induced banking (sexy looking but a big ship control issue), differential use of those outboards would be of some assistance, even though their moment arms are short. Such use would put a hell of a 'knuckle' in the water -- so much for stealth.

David

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SubICman
    replied
    As far as I know, yes. I never got to drive a Seawolf, so I am not familiar with if they could be operated independently or not. I suspect they are similar to how the split planes work on a Virginia.

Leave a comment:

• SubDude
    replied
    Originally posted by SubICman
    Here is a diagram
    Thank you for the diagram. That is what I thought you meant but something in my brain was saying NO! For real?!? Did the flap and the tip work in unison?

Leave a comment:

• RanSan
    replied
    Are the flap and the tip actuated separately? Do they move differently?

Leave a comment:

• SubICman
    replied
    Here is a diagram

Leave a comment:

• SubDude
    replied
    Originally posted by SubICman
    Seawolf runs split stern planes in a tips and flaps configuration. The inners are the smaller flaps like the original and with the outers, the whole tip of the chord rotated. The Trumpeter model in
    s inaccurate in that the planes go full length.
    Good to know. Not quite sure I am following you though. Do you mean like this or something different?

Leave a comment:

• SubICman
    replied
    Seawolf runs split stern planes in a tips and flaps configuration. The inners are the smaller flaps like the original and with the outers, the whole tip of the chord rotated. The Trumpeter model in
    s inaccurate in that the planes go full length.
    Last edited by SubICman; 08-02-2022, 06:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SubDude
    replied
    The corrected stern planes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220802_010622.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	163318

Leave a comment:

• SubDude
    replied
    Thanks Rob. It is turning out good so far. Very impressive to see in person for sure. Sorry you can't make Subfest. Once I get the mechanical fit and function of the hull sorted out there will be a significant amount of sanding and filling to do mainly because of its size but it will come together. Last year at Subfest I had my Thresher with nothing more than primer on it and now it's done.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Your "Jimmy Carter" is really an awesome build Steve! Wish I could make SubFest and see it in person!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"

Leave a comment:

• SubDude
    replied
    Sail and bow planes are printed and fit nicely.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220731_214344.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.3 KB ID:	163291

Stern planes and rudder are printed as well. One thing to note. The stern planes as designed were about 3" long each. Not much surface area for a 113" long boat. I have the Trumpeter 1/144 plastic model of the Seawolf and based on it the stern planes were full span so with a slight modification using a coping saw and a redesign of the planes in Fusion 360 it will be easy to change and add about 1-1/2" to the length of each plane.

Port side has been modified. Starboard has not for comparison.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220731_211620.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.5 KB ID:	163290

The propulsor shroud mounting flange is bolted on with M4 screws and threaded brass inserts as well as the whole tail piece to make it easier to connect linkages and such.

I make all my boats with removable sections where needed to ease servicing because eventually it will need to be done.
    Last edited by SubDude; 07-31-2022, 11:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Das Boot
    replied
    Originally posted by SubDude

Yeah, it's big. Probably about as big as I can take one depending on the files. I will have to come up with something to launch it at the lake but I have an idea.
    I’ll give you a hand. Lol!

Leave a comment:

• SubDude
    replied
    Originally posted by Sinksalot
    Steve I really love the internal support rods. I will most likely do something like that on my next sub. But 113 inches good lord that is long.
    Yeah, it's big. Probably about as big as I can take one depending on the files. I will have to come up with something to launch it at the lake but I have an idea.

Leave a comment:

• Sinksalot
    replied
    Steve I really love the internal support rods. I will most likely do something like that on my next sub. But 113 inches good lord that is long.

Leave a comment:

Working...