USS Jimmy Carter SSN 23 1/96

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Looking good, Duane. But you're using too much Nitro-Stan where a two-part filler would be better suited to the task of deep fill and contouring.

Leave a comment:

• Navy2000
    replied
    here are some up to date photos.

The first is of the Jimmy Carter next to my model of the Kidd DDG 993 that is 70" long.

Now for the filling of all the seems and the sanding that goes with it.

Duane

Leave a comment:

• Navy2000
    replied
    Here are some additional photos of this build.

I think we all know this guy.

Stern planes on the model along with the dihedrals.

Duane

Leave a comment:

• Navy2000
    started a topic USS Jimmy Carter SSN 23 1/96

USS Jimmy Carter SSN 23 1/96

Well I figured I would go ahead and post my build of the Jimmy Carter here. I mostly build surface Naval models but decided I go ahead and build a sub for the first time. I could have done a normal sub design but I like to do things that stand out with in the class of ships or even subs now.

I first had to purchase two hulls to make the length that I needed for this project.

Here the two hulls have been cut and rejoined to make one hull that is 12 1/2 inches longer than the normal Seawolf class.

After some time went by I got with David Merriman and got the build going again with his help. Here we had to get the upper hull half to pull back in so that it would match with the lower half. Dave made this jig and we put the upper hull inside and put some fiberglass inside to pull it back into shape.

While that was setting up we went ahead and got started with the drive cylinder in which the ballast tank had to be 1/3 longer that what is inside the Seawolf.

Gettting ready for the Z cuts.

Z cuts are done and joined.

I will post more another day.

Duane
Working...