New WTC From Bob Martin

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RCSubGuy
    replied
    Original question seemed like less of a wiring theme and more of a setup theme. As others have posted, ballast in a 4 channel radio is typically channel 4 (left stick horizontal). If you have an open 3 position latching switch, that is ideal as it is full vent/neutral/full blow. ESC's don't so much care about the proportional voltage, but if you have a solenoid in your ballast setup, they like full voltage.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by redboat219
    Got this from Bob Gaito
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PC050040.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	157886
    Perfect!

Thanks to Bob Gaito for the diagram, and thanks to Romel for posting it!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied
    Got this from Bob Gaito

Name:	PC050040.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	157886

Leave a comment:

• cgbillb
    replied
    Thanks guys it all helps
    Bill
    Athens Ga.
    Home of the National Champion Bulldogs

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by cgbillb
    Rob
    Yes, I saw that but how do they wire in, left stick channel?
    Bob YouTube is great for selling an 80 or 70mm WTC but not for installing one.
    When I called him to order one, he did tell me that no paperwork would come with it.
    That is why I was reaching out here.
    Bill
    Bill,

As for the wiring on the ESC, it is typical ESC wiring system as with airplane, or surface boat. I you are using the 10 Mini ESC that Bob (Nautilus Drydocks) sells, there is an instruction sheet with a wiring diagram that comes with the ESC. I hope the photo is OK! Might be of some use to you!

Name:	ESC 111111111.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	157845

As to Transmitter function, Nick, and wlambing have it correct.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• wlambing
    replied
    Guys,

Just like in an OTW cylinder, you keep the pump on Channel 4 (left stick, horizontal) and the throttle stays on Channel 3. Pretty much the same as in any of our cylinders, using Channel 4 to run the Blow/Vent servo, only in this case we're pushing water. The Thunder Tiger Neptune works the same way. Power wiring should be pretty easy. Input tapped off the main battery, then the motor leads to the appropriate mover. Testing on the bench, with a water source to the pump should tell you if you have those leads hooked up correctly. Or, you can wait until sea trials and see how it plays then, making the correction upon retrieval, as may be required. Maybe as simple as reversing the servo input in the transmitter. Sometimes that doesn't work, though.

Leave a comment:

• Monahan Steam Models
    replied
    Typical remote channel layout

Left stick up and down = forward/reverse
    Left stick side to side = left/flood ballast tank, right blow ballast tank
    Right stick up and down = bow planes dive or surface
    Right stick side to side = move rudder left or right

5th or extra channel = stern planes manual or over ride( if using automatic pitch control) up or down

Leave a comment:

• cgbillb
    replied
    Rob
    Yes, I saw that but how do they wire in, left stick channel?
    Bob YouTube is great for selling an 80 or 70mm WTC but not for installing one.
    When I called him to order one, he did tell me that no paperwork would come with it.
    That is why I was reaching out here.
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• neitosub
    replied
    Rob,

That’s correct as well! You can use a second ESC to run the pump if you want bidirectional and proportional control on the ballast pump. Two micro-switches can also run the pump bi-directionality but without proportional control, and you would need a servo to activate the switches.

Nate

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Nate & Bill,

If you look at Bob's YouTube that explains the 80 mm and the 70 mm WTC operation, he states that you need 2 ESC's one for the drive motor, and one for the pump motor!? I ordered 2 of the 10 Mini ESC's For my 70 mm WTC. One goes to the RX for your propulsion (throttle) system, and the other to your RX for the (water in & out) pump control.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• neitosub
    replied
    Hey guys,

If this system is like other pump-based systems, the wiring between the main drive motors and servos should be the same as any other RC-sub. In other words, the motors can be either wired in parallel or series and then connected to an ESC, or each motor can be connected to its own ESC and the two ESCs then connected to the receiver and main battery. If you plan on using a servo to activate the pump motor, then you would need to use a micro switch connected between the pump and the main battery.

Nate

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied
    R & R cylinders employ a water pump.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Hill Bill,

I have a 70 mm WTC coming from Bob. If the WTC unit did not come with a wiring schematic, maybe he will see this post and put up a wiring diagram here!? I am sure it would be helpful for all those that may be somewhat new to the hobby!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• cgbillb
    started a topic New WTC From Bob Martin

New WTC From Bob Martin

I got my new 80 mm WTC from Bob today. And it is a wonderful piece of equipment.
    Here is my question, has anyone one made up a schematic of how all it is wired together?
    I am guessing that the air pump ESC will go to the left stick. Up you would pump air in, down you would pump air out.
    Has anyone put one of the 80mm WTC into their sub yet?
    I have gone thru most of Bob's video's and have not seen anything on to make all the connections.
    Bill
    Athens Ga.
    Attached Files
Working...