• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TINFISH
    Lieutenant
    • Apr 2019

Otw upholder-refit

Hello All,
    I have been reading everything possible here for some time now so I have decided it is time to possibly contribute something. If possible....
    I recently made a deal whereby I gained possession of one of Bob's original built boats. It is the OTW Upholder. Bob did a very good series of video's on this build if your interested in watching them.

While I will be the first to admit, there is no way in hell, I can improve on Bob's original build, I believe I can add a bit of eye candy to the platform.

I will post some pics and thoughts as I go and any and all input, criticism or words of wisdom, from all here are more than welcomed.

As I write this Bob is building a custom OTW module for the boat which I am very excited about.

So, follow along and prepare to be less than amazed. lol

Mickm

​​
    This is pretty much how the boat looked as I received it. Although the interior saddle parts were in need of refitting.

​​
    Since Bob is making room in the WTC there should be ample room for forward torpedos. I cut out the shudder openings but will come back and relieve the two center-lower doors. These will be the working tubes.

​​
    Next I cut the hull and inserted some 3d printed flood valves. I decided to leave the opening in the valve so as to all air to escape when trying to dive.
    Also, in this picture you can see 4 of the bow bollards and plates.

If anyone notices I do not know the proper names for any of the features, please feel free to correct me.

​​
    I do not know what this hatch looking thing is but it is scribed into the hull. There is one also on the stern deck. I 3d printed one that is .015 thick. All 3d printed plates will be glued into position once all original paint is removed from the hull.

​​
    I believe all rc airplanes should have pilots and all subs, when on the surface, should have look outs. These two chaps will be cut up and reposed so their arms stay within the confines of the tower opening.
    This will allow them to retreat into the tower as the air power scopes come up. This way, when the boat is surface running they will be looking out, before it dives they will go below and the scopes will come up.
    I have also added the windscreen per the real boat. These two are new to this boat as they were originally on my Arkmodel Type VII. Their new uniforms are coming. lol

​​
    Two smaller sonar vents are present on the real boat so I have add them here.

​​ ​​
    The last detail for now is the rear hatch. Not sure if this is how it works on the real boat so I am taking some design liberties here.
    There is a floor under the door that will locate the air valve that will be used to air up the on-board air tank that operates the scopes.
    Also present is are two rear bollards.

Thanks all for now. Feel free to chime in.

Cheers!
    Mickm image widget
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TINFISH; 10-19-2020, 11:05 PM.
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

No pictures....
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• TINFISH
      Lieutenant
      • Apr 2019

redboat219...
      You don't see pictures? Cause I attached and I see eight, all together.
      What could be the issue? Does anyone else not see pictures?
      Thanks
      TINFISH

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201019-012101_Chrome.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	144490
        This is what I see.
        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• RCSubGuy
          Welcome to my underwater realm!
          • Aug 2009

Yes, I see broken links for the photos as well, and it was like then when I approved the post, too. Try again?

Comment

Working...