X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveNeill
    Commander
    • Apr 2020

1/48 Type 214 costumer build

The title says it all. Just got the kit from Bob and all the trimmings. Will start in on it today. Nice kit. Nice boat. And a nice new modular Subdriver. Brilliant system for the ballast system! Stay tuned for lots of fun.
  • ffr2608
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Oct 2009

Cant wait to see this one Steve. Nice size and like the chunky, conventional tail. I've done enough X tails..

DH

Comment

• ben1272
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • May 2020

Hey Steve, I will be following this one closely as I will be putting one of these new MSD's in my Skipjack.

I still have one of your original Huckebein jet kits, waiting to be made. I always hoped to put a turbine in it with some nice custom retracts, but time runs away! I followed you like mad with all the jets you used to design and build. Good times. Glad to see I'll be following you again with subs.

Comment

• SteveNeill
        Commander
        • Apr 2020

Originally posted by ffr2608
        Cant wait to see this one Steve. Nice size and like the chunky, conventional tail. I've done enough X tails..

DH
        X-Tails!!! Slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch,....yada, yada. I like these tails too!

Comment

• SteveNeill
          Commander
          • Apr 2020

Originally posted by ben1272
          Hey Steve, I will be following this one closely as I will be putting one of these new MSD's in my Skipjack.

I still have one of your original Huckebein jet kits, waiting to be made. I always hoped to put a turbine in it with some nice custom retracts, but time runs away! I followed you like mad with all the jets you used to design and build. Good times. Glad to see I'll be following you again with subs.
          Ben that's amazing! I found both of my old kits for the ME P. 1101 and the Huckebein I'm slowly putting together.

Glad to see you here!

Comment

• SteveNeill
            Commander
            • Apr 2020

A bit more done yesterday on the 214. I haven't found much to complain about. The hull is polyester resin. I knew that the minute I started grinding and drilling but very low smell compared to others I have experienced. That means the mixe was catalyzed correctly and not over catalyzed. There were some voids in the gel coat which is typical and easily and quickly repaired by Apoxie Sculpt or Evercoat. But I only found two.

In looking at the original build from the maker of the kit I noticed he didn't Z cut the deck but rather used and single screw in the bow. You can see it in the pictures on the website if you look close.

Appendages are a little gappy to make up a word but again easy fixes with Evercoat and a file and sand paper. All the appendages and bearings are secured with Apoxie Sculpt. They are rock solid and true. Very easy to rotate and move.

More tomorrow.

Comment

• SteveNeill
              Commander
              • Apr 2020

A bit more done on the 214. What I did is mount a section of PVC to that piece of thick plastic I placed the day before. I cut it at an angle and glued it in position. I used calibers to determine its needed length. I was within an 8th of an inch of the deck. I then filled in the hallow with Apoxie Sculpt and placed some plastic rap over it and pressed down the deck. This gave me a perfect fit and when set up today I can drill and tap for single screw hold down. The excess will be trimed off for a clean look once the Apoxie sets up.

The stern end of the deck has a flange and it fits into an Apoxie slot I made. It can't move laterally and is solidly in place.

Today it's point up the gaps and fit to the filets and hull. Then some scribe correction and she will be ready for primer.

Comment

• SteveNeill
                Commander
                • Apr 2020

The single brass screw holds the deck down so well I can hold it up by the deck. No Z cut needed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5613.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	139768

Comment

• ben1272
                  Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                  • May 2020

Steve, I am not familiar with Apoxie. Can you post or PM a short endorsement? It sounds like worth having in the shop. I will google it as well.

Comment

• SteveNeill
                    Commander
                    • Apr 2020

First of all isn't anyone going to bust my behind for entitling this thread a costume build? LOL! Just caught it. Too many years making costumes for Hollywood.

Ben: https://www.amazon.com/Apoxie-Sculpt...s%2C237&sr=8-1 Better than plumbers epoxy. Takes longer to cure. About 4-5 hours. You can actually sculpt back missing parts with this stuff, fill in voids. You can kick it off faster with a hair dryer. You can fill gaps and immediately paint over it. It sticks well too. Great for reconstruction. Don't leave home without it.

Comment

• SteveNeill
                      Commander
                      • Apr 2020

It's better than Bondo. They say Bondo isn't water proof but I', not sure about that. David could tell you better about that. Evercoat metal glaze is excellent as a filler and reshaping putty too Rob.

Comment

• SteveNeill
                        Commander
                        • Apr 2020

Thanks David. So who has the molds to the Albacore I didn't know you mastered. Love seeing these masters under construction. Excellent.

Comment

• SteveNeill
                          Commander
                          • Apr 2020

Well said David. I will wait for the day when I can get my hands on of of these beauts!

Comment

• SteveNeill
                            Commander
                            • Apr 2020

So I learned at long last how to thread my own prop shaft. Thanks Bob for telling how to do it I felt like a dummy at the time that I had never used a die. I used taps but never a die. My first attempt somewhat scared the prop shaft. I need a different vice that won't scare the shaft. Threading stainless was not easy. It fights back hard and kept twisting in the vice. Maybe I was turning too hard and bit my bit probably works better. The experts here will tell me.

However I got it to thread, made a bulkhead to support the shaft and got a good look at this pretty prop on the boat. Bob

Name:	IMG-5660.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	139976Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5651.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	139977Click image for larger version

Name:	61239467506--5C3034A6-6ED2-4BCE-B20F-376E60EACBE9 (1).JPG
Views:	346
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	139978 is making me up a new shaft as we speak already threaded to replace this one. Thanks Bob!

The other problem I ran into was the oilite bearing not fitting the 3/16 shaft. I checked it against a 3/16 wheel collar and that fir fine but not the bearing.

Today I'm back to blending the appendages and getting the brass on. Then I plan to get the cylinder installed and all the linkages hooked up and working before I start primer and paint.

Comment

• SteveNeill
                              Commander
                              • Apr 2020

So the new prop shaft is inbound from Bob. Bob was kind enough to die thread and new one for me straight and true with all the bearings I needed. Won't have it until Monday but I have plenty to do on the boat until then.

The hull has it's idiosyncrasies like all garage kits. I had a large gap between the deck and the stern. Easy. Evercoat and red air cure putty. Then there were the gaps between the appendages and the hull. Easy. Painters tape against the hull and Evercoat. Sand and shape.

Started figuring out the place of the brass on the deck and will install tomorrow. With any luck and a strong breeze I should have paint on this boat by Friday.

Name:	IMG-5706.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	140191Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5721.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	140190

Name:	IMG-5710.jpg
Views:	298