X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

U-91035 "PROTEUS" Build Log 2019-04-12: Fabricating the Ballast Tank

All the refits and testing regarding SSN-591 in the past 4 seasons are finally coming together now that I settled on a "what works for me" Ballast System for large boats.

While PROTEUS isn't considered large by me, she's only 33" LOA, unlike my SSN-722 which sports a LOA 96"+ , she has a ballast tank with a volume of 235 cubic inches, or ~8.5 lbs of buoyancy

Sounds like quite a bit for a model this size, so it is, but I want that surface trim she had in the movie, right there at the “wing”. Hence all that testing on 591. I don't want to go through cans of Propel like Congress through a budget.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PRT_BST_00.png Views:	1 Size:	4.2 KB ID:	131451
    So after finding the right diaphragm pump to handle the Low Pressure Blow and not take forever, I can save Propel for times when it's really needed. FWIW, the snorkel on PROTEUS for induction will actually be the actual snorkel she uses in the film, but recessed in her housing. So she will need burst of Propel to get her high enough to take air in. The onboard tank will hold enough to blow the tank completely for three times. ⅓ for the occasional burst, ⅓ for a full blow, and ⅓ for reserve. Always bring her to port after a Safety blow for a recharge.

Anyway, that’s the plan.

I honestly feel like I’m breaking all the Ballast tank rules here, but that’s how you learn.

Everything is modular, and designed for easy enough access to perform schedule maintenance. The tank itself if fabricated from 1/8", 1/16" PVC Sheet, AZEK, and 5/16" OD PVC Rigid tube for the hold down screws.

Waiting on more 1/16"Sheet PVC so I can finish the sides and seal it up, but at least you get to see it's internal makeup.

FWIW, the Command and Control water tight box is chock full of goodies purchased at the Nautilus Drydocks. I’ll make a run through video when I’m done. Yes, this is a shameless plug for Bob. But though I like to build a lot of stuff myself, items like Transmitters, Receivers, Speed Controls, BLM’s much less the not really used outside of us Angle Driver are not on my list of skills to fabricate!

Go buy some Raffle Tickets for the cause, and “stuff” to keep him in business. Click image for larger version  Name:	PRT_BST_01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	557.5 KB ID:	131452
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PRT_BST_02.jpg Views:	1 Size:	586.7 KB ID:	131453
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PRT_BST_03.jpg Views:	1 Size:	520.1 KB ID:	131454
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PRT_BST_04.jpg Views:	1 Size:	477.8 KB ID:	131455
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PRT_BST_05.jpg Views:	1 Size:	438.4 KB ID:	131456
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PRT_BST_06.jpg Views:	1 Size:	593.4 KB ID:	131457
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PRT_BST_07.jpg Views:	1 Size:	553.9 KB ID:	131458
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PRT_BST_08.jpg Views:	1 Size:	589.5 KB ID:	131459

Looking to make sea trials over the summer.
    Last edited by QuarterMaster; 04-03-2019, 12:05 AM.
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

That there looks like some engineering-type stuff!

I'm stoked to see this completed!

Bob

Comment

• Scott T
      Commander
      • May 2009

How about a snorkel air tube to suck in surface air? Movie prototypical.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
        Rear Admiral
        • Sep 2015

Originally posted by QuarterMaster
        FWIW, the snorkel on PROTEUS for induction will actually be the actual snorkel she uses in the film, but recessed in her housing. .
        Exactly where I'm bringing in the air, but it won't extend.
        v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
        NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
        USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

Working...