The Argo Hippocamp - A Steampunk submarine made real...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

The Argo Hippocamp - A Steampunk submarine made real...

There is a really fascinating design of a steampunk-esque submarine that was created by a gentleman by the name of Peter Pohle. His 3D files can be purchased on Turbosquid.

Loving the design, I purchased the plans and began work on importing them into my 3D software to convert to a printable format. That... was an ordeal. The 3D files are basically shells, not watertight, and very much not suitable for printing. After dozens of hours of work, I finally managed to convert them into something that I could use to create watertight STL files for printing.

I elected to produce the model with an overall length of around 33". My best guess, without knowing for sure, is that it puts the boat at around 1:120 scale. This gave me adequate room for the installation of working RC gear.

The hull was printed in six main sections, then glued together. Filling the seams was challenging due to the longitudinal strakes down the length of the boat. In the end, I elected to hide the seams with lines of resin decal rivets. The explorer sub is removable, and held in place with a magnet. I elected to paint the upper hull and keel in the same metallic silvers that Peter rendered her in, but rather than the wood hull, went with a copper look to the main hull sections.

The drive consists of one of my standard 2" single-shaft SubDrivers with full operational ballast system. The ballast is pump-based and utilizes a snorkel hidden in the wheelhouse to open a vent for full evacuation of the tanks.

With all of those very cool portholes, I installed over a dozen LED lights inside and two more outside. The effect is subtle, but when illuminated in the dark, makes for a very cool silhouette.

At this point, the Hippocamp is ready for the installation of flotation foam and lead ballast, then trimming in the pool. I'll update this thread with more photos and video once the boat is fully operational. In the meantime, enjoy these drydock photos as she prepares for her maiden voyage!
    Attached Files
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

That should work well- the hull aspect and proportions are very similar to a Holland boat, with good sized control surfaces right at the stern. The funnel/scope type thingamibobs will add a lot of drag, but at least they're positioned in a longitudinal line which should help.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

Andy,

The smokestacks are fairly thin profile and I don't think they'll add a ton more drag than a hefty set of periscopes might. Lower hull is nice and streamlined. Upper deck is more reminiscent of a fleet boat and should offer similar performance dynamics (though without the huge flat surface, it should dive nicer!). Huge rudder aft of prop should offer immediate answer to turn commands, and the same thing goes for the dive planes aft of prop... immediate pitch control with throttle input.

Rear planes are autonomous with manual override on CH6. Front planes will control depth.

I have a hunch she's going to move along at a pretty chipper pace. We'll know for sure once I get her wet!

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

When I raise the periscope on the Holland, it more than halves the speed. Don't underestimate the drag of a vertical cylindrical shape in comparison to a streamlined form.

Comment

Working...