1/96 Albacore (after Phase III coversion 1961)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
    I think you could squeeze in a pair of 18650's in the battery section, Dave. They go up to about 3Ah capacity, which would give you double the time. The name stands for the cell size 18mm diameter by 65mm length, in old money 0.7" diameter by 2.55" long. e.g. https://eu.nkon.nl/rechargeable/1865...18650vtc6.html
    That is a great steer, Andy. I'll check those cells out. Thanks, pal.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Also available on ebay.

Comment

• Albion
        Captain
        • Dec 2008

SG$ 10.88 22% Off | 2019/ New Battery 18650 3.7V Rechargeable 18650 Li Ion Battery 9900 mAh + 1 pcs 18650 Battery Charger Intelligent

Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Subculture
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Doubtful they have anything like 9.9A of capacity, a lot of these cheaper cells have exaggerated specs, but assuming they do have the capacity, then look at what the C rating is like. The C rating of the Sony batteries is 10C, but halve that for good performance, still 15A per cell- plenty of juice even on 2S systems.

Edit, just noticed in the blurb-
          • Nominal Capacity: 3001-3500mAh

So not much more capacity than the Sony cells, can't find a C rating. beware not all 18650 cells are equal.
          Last edited by Subculture; 03-23-2019, 11:33 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Albion

Here’s one of my 2.5” cylinders with 3x 18650 up front. There’s a 2 cell holder and a single cell holder, total 11.1V , stated as 9900mah, even if the Chinese are flakey on their specs it’s still a hefty punch
            Neat! And thanks for the tip. What boat is that SD in, sir?

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albion
              Captain
              • Dec 2008

Edit, just noticed in the blurb-
              • Nominal Capacity: 3001-3500mAh

So not much more capacity than the Sony cells, can't find a C rating. beware not all 18650 cells are equal.
              Good catch,

Dave it’s the three motor WTC but with a new rear bulkhead , only 2 motors to fit better into the M1!!!

still trying to neaten the wiring up before testing in anger. To add to my woes the servo on the vent valve has died, need to pull that out.
              Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Albion
                Good catch,

Dave it’s the three motor WTC but with a new rear bulkhead , only 2 motors to fit better into the M1!!!

still trying to neaten the wiring up before testing in anger. To add to my woes the servo on the vent valve has died, need to pull that out.
                Can I send you a replacement servo?

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albion
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Can I send you a replacement servo?

David
                  Thanks

Very kind offer, but postage will be more than cost, I’ve got one in spares box which should fit.

Comment

• Subculture
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

I'm guessing you had the control throws set very conservatively, because that boat should easily turn in its own length. 212's have a higher aspect and smaller control surfaces, and they can really crank round on a turn.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I'm guessing you had the control throws set very conservatively, because that boat should easily turn in its own length. 212's have a higher aspect and smaller control surfaces, and they can really crank round on a turn.
                      Right you are sir. Most control surfaces working in a liquid stall at anything above 30-degree to the flow. Currently I have the throws maxing out at 15-degrees. As you know trimming a boat is a battle to find the optimum combination of CG-CB, metacentric height, throttle end-points and response, angle-keeper sensitivity, angle-keeper zero-point, and control surface throws. The scientific method demands I make one change at a time: Change, observe, make another change, and so-on if I'm to have any understanding of what's going on.

So far I have throttle, buoyancy (surfaced and submerged), and the metacentric height down. next outing I'll dial in the angle-keeper a bit tighter and will also play with its sensitivity. Only after I have all other variables locked down will I increase the throws. But, yeah, I agree, this best should cut tighter corners, Andy.

My little Type-212 does indeed turn on a dime. We'll get Scott's ALBACORE doing the same in due time.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

Thank you for sharing you knowledge!
                        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...