X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oztruck
    Commander
    • May 2010

The never ending story

Still playing around with my Dumas Akula. It has changed a lot since I first got it and has been a lot of fun and a BIG learning curve.

Stage one was to build it as per instructions. :

Did that and it ran well although it did leak water and although I tried several times to stop the drip I had no luck

Stage two was build a new water tight compartment:

That went as planed and was water tight. Still ran very well and only needed 3 channels
    (Dynamic diver)

Stage three was to get the front dive planes working :

That also went as planed and although I needed another channel made the boat very controllable. All good so far. Still Dynamic

Stage four was to build another water tight compartment but this time with a ballast tank :

What I planed to do was use 2 air pumps, one to pump air in and the other to pump the air out. Both of the pumps are connected to each other with T pieces to make it a sealed unit which sucked or blew air through the snorkel.
    I got the 2 pumps from "Caswell" and they are controlled via a servo and 2 micro switches. It looked good on paper so I gave it a go.
    Bath tub tests showed that the hoses can not be crimped or the flow is reduced.
    After much playing around with hoses, lead and foam it finally got to a point where I was happy with the way it was working. Sitting nice and high with a full tank of air and just the top of the sail sticking out when the tank is full of water. It takes 40 seconds to fill or empty the ballast tank.

Off to the pond on the next club BBQ run with the Akula under my arm. It ran great on the water and not to bad under the water, seemed a bit harder to drive than before.
    After lunch went back to show a fellow club member how clever I was. Blew the ballast and down it went, straight down into the mud.

After I pulled it out and feeling like a fool I discovered that I had hit the bottom several times before lunch (because of the missing paint under the bow) and had leaked a small amount of water, not much but enough to go from the sail just being out of the water to sitting in the mud. The leak was found and a new seal put on the ruder linkage.

I have now fitted an emergency gas cylinder which is capable of filling the ballast 2 1/2 times. So now I have a static diver that comes back up.

Stage 5 is trying to get it to look a bit better. The rear tail on the Akula didn't do a thing for me and hindered control when under water, so off it came and now it is a Alfa look a like

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

A study in HOW TO LEARN THIS GAME!!!!

You did it all right: basic, just crawl along on the floor till you understand how to drive the thing; then walking as you investigate more robust structures in which to house the dry elements of your model submarine; then, the first tentative spurts of speed as you run along, making modifications to control surfaces and investigate the advantages (and disadvantages) of a ballast sub-system(s).

Good work, sir. And the painted up boat looks fine.

Now, sprint a bit and weather that thing!

Welcome to the madness!

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Slats
      Vice Admiral
      • Aug 2008

A nice paint job / transformation - I particularly like the grey but dull her down a bit when you do the weathering. Also pics of the gas mods please.
      Nice.
      J
      John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
      Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• oztruck
        Commander
        • May 2010

As soon as I can get some "Dull Coat" it will receive the lived in look. All the LHS in Adelaide are out of stock at the moment but yesterday I put a couple of cans on back order.

I will get some photos and a bit of a description on the gas mods as soon as I can. It is "cheap and nasty" though.

Comment

• oztruck
          Commander
          • May 2010

Cpt Slats. This is how I did my C&N gas system. After seeing my sub sitting in the mud at the bottom of the pond and the only way to get it back was to get wet I quickly decided I needed a emergency blow system to at least get the boat to the surface. What I wanted was an easy, inexpensive, rechargeable cylinder for my gas system. While on a shopping trip with "war department"(wife) I found what I thought would fit my needs and at $2.95 for 2 how could I say no.
          What I found was an electric, rechargeable cigarette lighter. They hold a fair bit of gas, designed to be carried near/in delicate areas but strong enough to withstand being dropped. They have an adjustable gas flow and a normally closed spring loaded valve.
          I removed the electrical components from my cylinder the spark and a nice blue LED light, hat cut the size down by about 1/3. With the spark maker part removed it also made the valve easier to open. So far so good. I cut up an old empty ball point pen and used the ink tube to fit tightly over the end of the gas jet and made it about 1 1/2" long. I then made up a housing to hold the gas tank and hold a mini servo to turn it on and off. I converted a couple of servo arms to act as a cam to push the gas trigger down to release the gas.
          After a bit of adjusting it was time for a test. The volume of my ballast tank is one of our large drink glasses, I know this from previous testing of pumps etc. So, I filled the kitchen sink with water, put the glass in, filled it with water and inverted it, then using a bit of fuel line attached to the gas cylinder pressed the trigger. It pushed all the water out 2 1/2 times. I then refilled the gas again got 2 1/2 blows.

Happy with the way it worked and surprised at how quickly it filled the glass it was time for a full test.

I drilled an 1/8" hole through the dry area/ballast tank bulk head then pushed a piece of 1/8 brass tube through the hole and secured with CA. Found a place for the gas tank and servo connected the servo lead to the receiver and did a dry test. Refilled the tank and connected it all up again and closed the lid. Off to the test tank(bath tub) and in it went. I then pumped all the air out of the ballast tank, added some lead to get it to sit on the bottom, stood back and turned on the gas #6 channel on my radio and up it bobbed like a cork.
          Because I don't know the affects of the lighter gas on the valves in the pumps the SOP is to vent the gas manually, seems the safe way to do it and after all it is only there as an emergency back up. BUT
          I am looking for a way to fill the tank with air brush propellant.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Oztruck,

That is SLICK!

I'm going to steal your idea, deny your existence, and take all the credit ... which is my custom.

A few thoughts: The Butane gas, if it got into the dry space, would soon find a spark-source (motor commutator-brush contact area), and, mixed with the air within, blow your watertight container apart. Put the entire gas bottle and valve into the ballast tank and actuate its valve via pushrod passing through a watertight seal at the dry-space/ballast tank bulkhead.

You, sir, are a gadgeteer of the first order! Well done.

David,
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
              Admiral
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Merriman

Put the entire gas bottle and valve into the ballast tank and actuate its valve via pushrod passing through a watertight seal at the dry-space/ballast tank bulkhead.
              Concur with David.

And placing the gas bottle inside the ballast tank space provides a sort of passive fail safe in the event that the bottle leaks or rupture from excessive internal pressure due to overfilling. Gas would be captured inside the ballast tank blowing the water out.
              Try that with the gas reservoir in the dry space.
              Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• oztruck
                Commander
                • May 2010

Thanks Boss for the heads up on the dangers of Butane. Didn't even think of a gas leak, How dumb can I get and still breath.

Back to the drawing board. Thought because they are designed to be carried in your top pocket with out any damage it would be ok in the dry area, but I guess most people don't have an electric motor buzzing around in there top pocket, not here in OZ anyway.

How much fun can one get from just one sub.

Cheers Chris,
                Last edited by oztruck; 01-09-2011, 01:02 AM. Reason: left a bit out

Comment

• Slats
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Aug 2008

Chris, - so good to see such inventive thinking in a practical application.
                  Well done wheel maker.
                  J

Oh yeah I'm a tight arse by trade, you win the Economics prize of my enduring gratitude!
                  See I'm cheap.
                  J
                  John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• oztruck
                    Commander
                    • May 2010

Found some flat clear. Let the games begin.

Before

after.

Last edited by oztruck; 02-10-2011, 03:56 AM. Reason: added photo

Comment

• Slats
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Aug 2008

What a great result. Looks much less glossy now.
                      John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• oztruck
                        Commander
                        • May 2010

Got some screen shots that you might like

Comment

Working...