Name:	image.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	125317Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	125316"

My man cave. Plenty of room and a good submarine testing facility out the back.....

David H

Attached Files

Comment

• MFR1964
      Detail Nut of the First Order
      • Sep 2010

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Enjoy this short vid, still in progress, but the future looks bright.

Manfred.
      I went underground

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Manfred, that is some amazing renovation.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by MFR1964
          https://youtube.com/shorts/AQJV6iGepkY?feature=share

Enjoy this short vid, still in progress, but the future looks bright.

Manfred.
          An after-the-fact basement!?... You nut!

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
            • Sep 2010

Thanks Tom, within a couple of months i can start decorating the cave, for now a pit in the ground.

David, why?, because it can be done, flattering me with Nut makes my day

Manfred.
            I went underground

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Well! My chance to show off what can be done in a 12' X 12' X 8'! I do envy some of the great work shops you guys have!

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010880.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.9 KB ID:	150365Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010881.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.8 KB ID:	150366

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010882.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.7 KB ID:	150367Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010883.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.5 KB ID:	150368

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010884.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.2 KB ID:	150369Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010885.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.2 KB ID:	150370

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010886.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.9 KB ID:	150371Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010887.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.0 KB ID:	150372

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010888.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.4 KB ID:	150373Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010889.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.6 KB ID:	150374
              Click image for larger version

Name:	photo[7761].JPG
Views:	292
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	150394

The photo above is my test bed and my lake!!

That's it from my little corner of the world! "SUB" Ed had a great suggestion, which may have to be used! Start hanging the subs from the ceiling, and I may have to if Bob (Nautilus Drydocks) keeps putting out those great 3D files!:-)) I guess you could say I am hooked!!!

Rob
              "Firemen can stand the heat"
              Last edited by rwtdiver; 06-02-2021, 08:49 PM. Reason: Additional Info!

Comment

• MFR1964
                • Sep 2010

Rob,

Nice looking cave, plastering the walls with subs is for me a standard procedure, when all done it will be of simulair size, just some more height

Manfred.
                I went underground

Comment

• Bob Gato
                  Captain
                  • Feb 2019

My new basement ( I get about 550 SQ FT of 1600) and 9 FT to the joists- The walls are represented by blue tape for now but the placement is where it's going to be. The radial arm and table saws are both 4x8 friendly and the task LED lighting are internet connected. Full hands, no problem ...just ask! Forgot to turn them off and you're at the airport, just use WiFi..

Name:	thumbnail.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	150379

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                    Captain
                    • Apr 2020

Man cave skunk works facility. Short commute from kitchen porch door.

Name:	D8946C55-95CD-424F-A7B4-72F8F8BDF998.jpeg
Views:	221
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	150396

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                      Captain
                      • Apr 2020

And the testing facility 90 degrees to the left from the shop off the back porch. I’ll crawl back under my rock now before the incoming rounds land...

Name:	4211E4CB-41F6-4EDC-8307-C970119274CC.jpeg
Views:	238
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	150398

Comment

• Bob Gato
                        Captain
                        • Feb 2019

You're a lucky man Mr. Monahan-very nice!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                          • Aug 2008

It's been my findings that 'luck' follows a long period of planning, study, observation, doing without the things that get in the way. And better-than-average performance.

I've been told I'm lucky to be so talented and productive.

Bull-****!

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Bob Gato
                            Captain
                            • Feb 2019

LoL true that, but luck plays an important part in the "Best-laid plans..." a 747 could make an unscheduled diversion to the top of my house at any time!

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                              Captain
                              • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Bob Gato
                              You're a lucky man Mr. Monahan-very nice!
                              Thanks BG!

We were lucky enough to have the foresight to build the shop 24 years ago while the county was still approving out buildings like this to be built. Also the cost of the building was much cheaper back then compared to what it would cost today. A few years later after we built the building the county stopped allowing shops of this size being built on private property and the cost of the steel buildings today have increased more then 5 times.

The pond was here when we bought the property all those years ago but it was very poorly constructed and lost water faster then the rain could fill it up. This was mainly due to the previous owner using 1” worth of shotcrete and zero rebar to line the pond. Years of the clay soil expanding and contracting cracked all the concrete. About 5 years ago I completely rebuilt it myself. I removed all the concrete and used a heavy duty rubber liner. Then brought in 390 tons of stone to rock the whole thing in. Was a huge job that took 8 months to complete. Each 2000+ pound boulder had to be carefully placed on layers of padding on top of the liner one at a time using a large excavator and heavy duty straps. I never want to have to go through that again!

Comment

• rwtdiver
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models

Thanks BG!

We were lucky enough to have the foresight to build the shop 24 years ago while the county was still approving out buildings like this to be built. Also the cost of the building was much cheaper back then compared to what it would cost today. A few years later after we built the building the county stopped allowing shops of this size being built on private property and the cost of the steel buildings today have increased more then 5 times.

The pond was here when we bought the property all those years ago but it was very poorly constructed and lost water faster then the rain could fill it up. This was mainly due to the previous owner using 1” worth of shotcrete and zero rebar to line the pond. Years of the clay soil expanding and contracting cracked all the concrete. About 5 years ago I completely rebuilt it myself. I removed all the concrete and used a heavy duty rubber liner. Then brought in 390 tons of stone to rock the whole thing in. Was a huge job that took 8 months to complete. Each 2000+ pound boulder had to be carefully placed on layers of padding on top of the liner one at a time using a large excavator and heavy duty straps. I never want to have to go through that again!
                                Very nice Mr. Monahan!

Having the space to set up a nice shop is ideal for sure! Really having the space with the right tools does open up ones opportunity's to do more with this hobby, or any other for that matter! Looks like Bob (Bob Gato) and David H. have real nice shop as well! I think the bigger shops and the number of tools at hand certainly allow one to use the good old tried and true methods of hull construction for our hobby! Watching the type of work that David M. does certainly requires the shop space that he has as well!

If it where not for 3D printing, I would have to go with the ready to run (RTR) subs and miss out on the actual joy of building a sub up! If you enjoy (love) this hobby as I do, you will make the room and space required somehow! "Build On"

Rob
                                "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

Working...