X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steveuk
    Ensign
    • Apr 2017

1:72 Revell Skipjack - modifying to USS Shark final refit

Time I started this build thread. I have been given a new dive module to test run in a model. This build was supposed to be straight out the box. So I took a break from my other sub project to get on with this quick job. ..As usual though I couldn't resist putting my mark on this build and have already started modifying the kit.

Progress so far: started by fitting running gear whilst stern is still accessible. Stainless steel shaft running in brass bearing. This didn't go smoothly - even though I drilled the brass through on my model lathe the hole ended up very 'scorred' inside, like the rifling of a gun barrel! (Are there special drills which make nice smooth holes in brass?) So I ended up drilling the brass bearing oversize and purchased a ready made bronze bush which is a nice snug fit. Runs nice and smooth. I went for the seven bladed scimitar prop because Skipjacks converted to them part way through their service life, and mine is going to be Shark in her final refit form.

Attached Files
  • steveuk
    Ensign
    • Apr 2017

Stern Planes

I used the kit parts and inserted brass rod to make them sturdy operational control surfaces. I also modified the stern plane outlines to include the cut outs near the stern plane bearings. The rudders seem to have these cutouts too. Here's an interesting photo to show where I am going with these.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	p002.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	121856Click image for larger version

Name:	scamp stern planes.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	366.9 KB
ID:	121857

Comment

• steveuk
      Ensign
      • Apr 2017

Stern planes - oil canning

Next I have glued some Evergreen strip where the structural ribs would be, and then filled up in between using Milliput epoxy putty. I do intend a subtle effect for the finished appearance. But I do want Shark to look more beaten than when first launched. To get the rib detail authentic I referenced this pic of Scorpions unfortunate crumpled wreck. This photo also gave clues as to how the stern plane was fitted and removed on the real thing. There appears a separate bolt on end section which formed the outer hinge point. I noted hat the outer hinge point on my model looked quite fragile - the outer hinge pin is only hanging on by a few mm of plastic. I decided my RC model would benefit greatly by making a similar scaled down section out of brass. I cut a long notch out of my stern guards to match the real ones and fashioned brass end plates to replace the outer hinge points. These are held in place by two stainless screws, countersunk so they will be hidden. Milliput epoxy putty was applied into the stern guard area and the stainless screws were covered with grease before being pushed in and covered over. When the Milliput had fully set (overnight) the screws could be unscrewed so work could continue.

Name:	tailfin.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	337.9 KB
ID:	121859

Name:	P003.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	121860

Name:	P004.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	121861

Name:	P005.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	121862

Name:	P006.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	121863

Note rudder bearing has been moved back 1/8th inch and original kit hole filled in, as per Dave's instructions.

Comment

• steveuk
        Ensign
        • Apr 2017

Work continues . Note : Rudder hinge has also been moved back from kit position to match new rudder bearing position. The stern upper hull section is now glued in place. More Evergreen strip glued down. Milliput to follow. Click image for larger version

Name:	P007.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	121865

Name:	P008.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	121866

Name:	P010.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	121867

Comment

• steveuk
          Ensign
          • Apr 2017

Name:	P011.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	122018
          Finished filling sanding process port side. Ready now for a bit of primer to tie it all together and see what the final effect is going to look like.
          Last edited by steveuk; 06-23-2017, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Working...