Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardRock
    Vice Admiral
    • Mar 2013

Ah... now I see your cunning plan. Take a simple situation and COMPLICATE IT BEYOND BELIEFE! I have a good friend who reminds me of you. He is a professor of gynacology who did a certificate in diesel mechanics so that he could work on his own trucks - unfortunately it takes him three times longer to do anything mechanical on the engines because he has to go in through the exhaust pipe!

Comment

• bwi 971
      Captain
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by HardRock
      Ah... now I see your cunning plan. Take a simple situation and COMPLICATE IT BEYOND BELIEFE! I have a good friend who reminds me of you. He is a professor of gynacology who did a certificate in diesel mechanics so that he could work on his own trucks - unfortunately it takes him three times longer to do anything mechanical on the engines because he has to go in through the exhaust pipe!
      LOL.....hope he didn't use the tailpipe to make out with the girlfriends on the backseat.

Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
      "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• vital.spark
        Commander
        • May 2010

From the Fleet Sub Operations Manual of 1946 please read as it fully describes all fleet boat air systems:

education, preservation, submarine, navy, air systems, WW II, fleet

This is the complete Wikapedia, Fleet Sub Manual on Steroids!

If one has several months spare time you could study the entire fleet boat manual!!! Best of luck

Comment

• HardRock
          Vice Admiral
          • Mar 2013

Got the windows fitted today. Bit of filling required now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1582.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	122930

Also fitted the emergency buoys.

Name:	IMG_1578.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	497.7 KB
ID:	122931

Comment

• HardRock
            Vice Admiral
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Tirfing
            Beautiful! How did you add the White lines? Is it decal or just masking and a steady hand?
            I sent you a PM. Better read it.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

I sent you a PM. Better read it.
              Some ways to achieve draft marking bars:

Name:	DSCN0010 (2).JPG
Views:	137
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	122936

Name:	DSCN0012.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	122937

Name:	DSCN0014.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	122938

Name:	DSCN0115.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	122939

Name:	DSCN0119.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	122940

Name:	DSCN0127.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	122941

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Tirfing
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Jan 2017

Hi David. Really interesting stuff, your markings. How do you do in the first photo? Are you cutting the tape to shape the lines?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Can do. I'll pick up some 2.5" Lexan this week. Gas it is, sir.

David
                  OK, I got a length of 2.5" Lexan in the shop. How about this: five inches for the after dry-space (the three-motor motor-bulkhead is shorter than the other motor-bulkheads); five-inches for the ballast tank (even with the big gas bottle you have nearly nine-ounces of ballast water); and a six-inch long forward dry-space for the battery (which can be shortened if you go with a tighter battery pack if you wish).

The above comes in with a cylinder length of seventeen-inches (two-inches longer than the fifteen-inches you stated, but you can cut off some of the forward cylinder to make the fifteen-inches if needed).

I don't want to cut Lexan till we agree on the division of the three dry spaces (by the way, the seventeen-inches accounts for the thickness of the forward and after ballast bulkheads). So, Scott, get back to me ASAP and I'll start in on the two SD's (one for me, one for you).

Here's the 1/72 FOXTROT and its three-motor SD -- pretty much like the unite I'll be working up for our ZULU's.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0131.JPG Views:	1 Size:	18.2 KB ID:	123027
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0120.JPG Views:	1 Size:	16.0 KB ID:	123028
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0117.JPG Views:	1 Size:	13.6 KB ID:	123029
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	030.JPG Views:	1 Size:	11.2 KB ID:	123030
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0113.JPG Views:	1 Size:	15.4 KB ID:	123025
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0123.JPG Views:	2 Size:	14.9 KB ID:	123026

David
                  Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 08-23-2017, 02:23 PM.
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Mar 2013

Thanks Mate. I suspect that because of the tight internal diameter, a portion of the ballast tank will be above the design waterline - maybe up to a third. I can get by with a forward battery space of 5 inches so I'm leaning toward 5 inches for the aft space; 6 inch ballast tank; and 5 inch forward space. What do you think?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thanks Mate. I suspect that because of the tight internal diameter, a portion of the ballast tank will be above the design waterline - maybe up to a third. I can get by with a forward battery space of 5 inches so I'm leaning toward 5 inches for the aft space; 6 inch ballast tank; and 5 inch forward space. What do you think?
                      Very good. 5" X 6" X 5" it is.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

(squeal of joy)

It's here! Film at Eleven!

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Mar 2013

Hurrah! Enjoy the moment - it might be be so wonderful after you open the package! (I think my father said that to me along time go - just after my first marriage).

Comment

• HardRock
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Mar 2013

Damn it "might not", not "might be be". Curse these plastic fingers.

Comment

• HardRock
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Mar 2013

Not really Zulu but its filling in the time between Zulu tasks - the new tail for the Delta III.

Name:	IMG_1593.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	123123

Name:	IMG_1594.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	576.2 KB
ID:	123124

Comment

• Aug 2008

Scott,

OK, got your ZULU kit broke out and examined. First, pal -- a big improvement over your neat little ROMEO. You are on the 'fast' learning track, sir! Good job. And no significant warping of the GRP hull parts. And I love your breaking the upper and lower hull at the waterline.

Speaking of waterline ...

... A 2.5" cylinder is way too big. One-third of it will be out of the water in surface trim. So, our SD's will be of the 2" flavor. I'm currently working on a gearing that will give us the three propeller shaft outputs from one single motor. Trust me, it will work. Pictures soon.

A 6" long ballast tank, using the 2" SD cylinder -- even accounting for the displacement of the gas bottle and conduit tube and other happy horse-**** inside it -- will give us a floodable volume of six ounces. By the way, I came up with the same above waterline weights (assuming that the GRP and resin have a specific gravity close enough to 1 as to not matter) as you did. We're on the same page.

I'm cutting Lexan tomorrow -- so get back to me if you have any heart burn with this arrangement, Scott.

David
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...