New 1/72 Golf II kit

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 598602G
    replied
    Was on the Lincoln from 77-80. Boat was in Guam. Those were the good ole days when everyone new who the enemy was. Think I will have to put a 598 on my build list.

Leave a comment:

• SSN SonarTech
    replied
    "was a sonar tech on the USS Abraham Lincoln SSBN 602(G)."

When were you on Lincoln?

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by 598602G
    That is good news. All those Foxtrot masts the Golf uses. I have such a hard time finding the right casting resin to cast the mast parts. I pulled all my hair out doing them. You still have the Foxtrot hull by chance? Maybe you could make some extra masts for the Golf. Thank god the West epoxy I am using doesn't make my eyes swollen like the other epoxy I was using. Do you have any decent drawings for a Thresher/Permit?
    Excellent, I have a box full of bagged parts I have to pick through to find your parts, so give me a week or two on that, and I'll get them off to you -- the flood completely messed up what-went-where in the shop (the metal parts were all on the floor at the time of the flood and would up all over the place). Got to collate!

David

Leave a comment:

• bwi 971
    replied
    The only thing that was holding me back to put the GOLF on my wish list is the proportion of her sail.
    I had concerns that the large sail surface, and the drag that goes when making submersed turns will result in a tremendous list when making the turn.

As she is not equipped with dorsal rudder like the ALBACORE she will need some stabilization with her dive planes by means of a transvers placed auto leveler.
    I don’t think the missile tube extension on her lower hull (bulge) will compensate for the drag of her sail.

Personally, I would cheat a little bit (adapt and overcome) and extend the bulge a little further to compensate for the sail, just to make sure.

It is not my intention to offend you or criticize your you great looking project you have going here. Just want to share my concerns I had myself when pondering over fabricating this model.

Your masters are looking awesome

Grtz,
    Bart

Leave a comment:

• 598602G
    replied
    That is good news. All those Foxtrot masts the Golf uses. I have such a hard time finding the right casting resin to cast the mast parts. I pulled all my hair out doing them. You still have the Foxtrot hull by chance? Maybe you could make some extra masts for the Golf. Thank god the West epoxy I am using doesn't make my eyes swollen like the other epoxy I was using. Do you have any decent drawings for a Thresher/Permit?

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by 598602G
    Dave you still have the molds to make the 1/72 Snoop Tray mast for the infamous 1/72 Foxtrot? The Golf uses the Snoop Tray mast and I haven't had time to mold it plus your mast looks so good.
    You're in luck, just about the only tool and production castings I did for the aborted FOXTROT project were the metal and resin detail parts:

More pretty pictures from the FOXTROT album:

Send me your mailing address and I'll fix you up.

David

Leave a comment:

• 598602G
    replied
    Dave you still have the molds to make the 1/72 Snoop Tray mast for the infamous 1/72 Foxtrot? The Golf uses the Snoop Tray mast and I haven't had time to mold it plus your mast looks so good.

Leave a comment:

• 598602G
    replied
    Pics of the hull and resin parts placed on hull. This week and scribe detail in the hull and get it ready to mold.

Leave a comment:

• 598602G
    replied
    I was a sonar tech on the USS Abraham Lincoln SSBN 602(G). Pics of the first sail out of the molds and pi of the molds. The way I make my glass parts is I mix up West System epoxy and 206 hardener with milled fiberglass powder. Make a surface coat and put a coat of that in the mold. Then when it is dry I start laying glass. When the part comes out it picks up all the detail in the mold and part is armor plated. I make my own surface coat using West and 206 mixed with 50% milled fiberglass powder and 50% 225 mesh aluminum powder. That mix picks up all the fine detail on the plugs and when your mold is done I guarantee your molds will not chip or crack one bit. They will be armor plated also. For all you ex fast boat guys I am building a mystery 1/72 US fast boat molds along with the Golf.

Leave a comment:

• SSN SonarTech
    replied
    Looks really nice

Leave a comment:

• schaffer hasse
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Davidh
    replied
    Nice work Tim,

for what it's worth I think the November would be a great boat to do. It has such a 2 part look. Above the waterline it looks like a 1950s version of an Alfa with what looks like a teardrop hull, then underneath it's got an old style WW2 hull.

so distinctive. I have sometimes toyed with the idea, but I'm lining up for one of Scott's Romeos..

david H

Leave a comment:

• 598602G
    replied
    That's why I built it. Unique for sure. The boat is so cluttered with junk. Eye candy. Part diesel boat part missile boat. When it is running on the surface it just looks like it wants to start WWIII. The reason I built the Charlie I it looks like it wants to pick a fight sitting at the dock.

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    The Golf II is an ugly looking sub. One that would look great by the pond side. For some reason, the uglier the more attractive it is and unique. Rivets, weld lines, and a cool design all are on my what makes it beautiful. The Gulf II does not have rivets, but a cool design. This is a great subject and you are doing a fantastic job on it.
    Last edited by trout; 01-29-2017, 10:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 598602G
    replied
    I am a ex submariner so I know about the HEN's. Thought about doing a Hotel II. Bob Eissler keeps wanting me to make the boat I was on. A 598 SSBN. So many boats but so little time for this ex ping jockey. Hey Bob don't forget to hold onto that last Alfa kit I sold you. The Golf II would look good next to the Delta III on your mantle if it will fit.

Leave a comment:

Working...