Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 598602G
    Captain
    • Jan 2017

Here it is the parting board with the hull plug in it. I make my parting boards using the chalk board material you buy at Home Depot. It is a little over 1/8" thick and is like MDF board. I laminate two together for strength. I also screw on two 1/2" U channel aluminum length wise on the top and bottom of the back side of the parting board so board is arrow straight. For the seal I place the hull plug into the board and put masking tape all the way around the plug and board sealing it so no sealant gets past. I turn the board upside down then I mix West epoxy and milled fiberglass powder to where it is like syrup. I load that into a 2 ounce syringe then I shoot the mixture into where I am making the seal. Let it dry over night the pull the masking tape and pull the plug out of the parting board. Sand the excess sealant flat to surface of the parting board. Then you have a perfect seal around the plug and board and the seal is bullet proof and will not chip or crack. Not bad for a old rc airplane dude huh?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Love your parting-board sealing trick. I'm stealing that!

1/72 cast white-metal S5W propellers and 1/96 VICTORE-3 propeller drawing went out via USPS yesterday.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 598602G
        Captain
        • Jan 2017

Thanks Dave. You can steal that seal idea. My old rc airplane mold making buddies loved my parting board sealant trick also. They use to mix bondo and shove it down into the seal but my idea is so much easier. Also when you shoot my sealant into the board it fills in the all the contours of the plug you won't have hardly any surface coat bleed through.

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

David,
          The bottom of this image of the blade setup is cut off. Is the R1 to the left and continuing to R5 or visa-versa?
          Thank you for this!
          Peace,
          Tom
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• 598602G
            Captain
            • Jan 2017

Here is the surface coat. You guys want the most inexpensive most bullet proof surface coat here is how you make it. I good friend of mine who has been a mold maker for years told me how to make it. I used this method on the sail molds. You use 4 pumps of West epoxy and 4 pumps of 206 hardener. You mix 2 1/12 oz of milled fiberglass powder and 2 1/2 oz of 225 mesh aluminum powder. Brush it on and you will have the most bullet proof molds. Picks up every last detail from your plugs. Link to the powder I provided. The 225 mesh aluminum powder you also buy it off ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/331671212598...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
              David,
              The bottom of this image of the blade setup is cut off. Is the R1 to the left and continuing to R5 or visa-versa?
              Thank you for this!
              Peace,
              Tom
              R1 (radius point #1) is close to the hub with R numbers advancing toward the tip (to the left on the chart). This is how I graphically determine angle changes across the span of a constant-pitch type propeller. The blade chart, and the observed projected blade profile guide me as I carve out the blade blank. From the blank goes the process to achieve a correct helical curve to the blade.

More pretty pictures outlining propeller design and manufacture: http://s262.photobucket.com/user/dme...?sort=3&page=1

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 598602G
                Captain
                • Jan 2017

Dave you make some really nice stuff. I am too blind anymore to much stuff like that. Won a bid today on ebay for a Moebius Skipjack. Don't know what I will do with it accept add it to the collection. George it is 1/72 sorry.

Comment

• 598602G
                  Captain
                  • Jan 2017

George here is the WWII Japanese Heavy Cruiser that Don wants me to make the hull mold for. Kind of a small 1/100 scale and 76" long. You think I should make it in 1/72?

Comment

• Aug 2008

The seven-blader is for 1/72nd THRESHER. The five-blader is for the Moebius 1/72 SKIPJACK.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

I will be making the prop for the Walrus.
                      I am running into a problem of figuring out the prop. It is a 5 blade prop. From plans it is for a 1/60th scale model making the prop 60mm or 2.3622”

Click image for larger version

Name:	Walrus Prop Plan.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	119916
                      Now I need to make the blades. But because the blades on the plan are curved, how do you figure the proper pre-shaped contour?
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Walrus Prop Live.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	497.6 KB
ID:	119917Click image for larger version

Name:	Walrus Prop Combined Drawing.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	119918

I tried seeing if there were other sources and I found a paper model, but it’s blades looked thin (black line) then I used the real prop (in red) and overlaid it, but the angle of the photo is off skewed. I have tried to combine and average, but I am not so confident of my abilities.

Any suggestions?
                      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

I am sorry, I probably should put this on a different thread and not hi-jack this one.

O.K. new topic created here: https://forum.sub-driver.com/forum/g...h-scale-walrus
                        Last edited by trout; 02-15-2017, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
                          I am sorry, I probably should put this on a different thread and not hi-jack this one.
                          Harrumph! .... the gall!

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 598602G
                            Captain
                            • Jan 2017

You can hijack I don't mind. If it saves you from opening another thread then you can post in here. Those are nice screws Dave. I sold a Moebius Skipjack with the sub driver rc kit a couple years ago. Wish I would not have sold it. Now if I can just finish up the Golf molds and the epoxy doesn't swell up my eyes I will be OK. Pic of half the Golf hull mold done. They way things are looking for me and the epoxy health issues I might have to sell the Golf molds

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by 598602G
                              You can hijack I don't mind. If it saves you from opening another thread then you can post in here. Those are nice screws Dave. I sold a Moebius Skipjack with the sub driver rc kit a couple years ago. Wish I would not have sold it. Now if I can just finish up the Golf molds and the epoxy doesn't swell up my eyes I will be OK. Pic of half the Golf hull mold done. They way things are looking for me and the epoxy health issues I might have to sell the Golf molds
                              NNOOOooooo! Get a positive pressure head-dress and keep at it, galley-slave!

Like this:

David
                              Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-15-2017, 07:25 PM.
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 598602G
                                Captain
                                • Jan 2017

Where did you get a pic of me back in the day. I resemble the galley slave as I had to mess crank on the Lincoln so nanny nanny poo poo.

Comment

Working...