• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

USS Blueback SS-581 recovered from North Lake, Groton Sub base

****FLASH TRAFFIC****FLASH TRAFFIC****FLASH TRAFFIC****

After sitting submerged in some 8+ feet of water for 59 day's,the USS BLUEBACK has been recovered.

This 1/96 Scale RC Submarine, manufactured by the now defunct SMALL WORLD MODELS (Dave Manley) was lost on Patrol September 10th 2016 while undergoing refit sea trials.
    This mostly stock model had some major repairs to the WTC including a shaft seal replacement.

While at first indications to the cause of the loss may have been attributed to the repairs, it is now pointing to human error.
    Ballasted to heavy for an empty propel tank, followed by NOT insuring the tank was full prior to departure.

The following is an excerpt from the email I received from Rich Kohlbrecher this AM:

Ed,

The Blueback was officially recovered at 8:10am this morning from the Sub Base.

She was immediately transported to a secure shipyard for inspection.

The square plate on the outer edge of her port rear dive plane was broken off but recovered. (This suggests damage was sustained in the front seat of the base pickup truck.) however, repairs are simple.

The outer hull had areas of algae growth but was otherwise in good condition. The scopes are fine.

The WTC was completely obscured by algae. After careful cleaning in one area it was determined that there was NO VISIBLE MOISTURE PRESENT in the WTC. The reactor core was not compromised .

It should be noted that the high pressure air system (Propel) was completely empty. This discovery will, unfortunately, precipitate a board of inquiry regarding the fitness of the Commanding Officer at the time of the incident. Court Marshall proceedings may soon follow.

Please find attached some classified salvage photos.

Richie

Many thanks to the Sailors of the US Sub Base, MWR, and of course Joe Oliver and Rich Kohlbrecher for her return.

North Lake is not only the best running spot period, but the lake is drained each year for fools like me lol!

"Sub " Ed

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0558.JPG Views:	1 Size:	394.9 KB ID:	117313
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0562.JPG Views:	1 Size:	458.8 KB ID:	117314
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0559.JPG Views:	1 Size:	385.4 KB ID:	117315
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0563.JPG Views:	1 Size:	437.2 KB ID:	117316
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0567.JPG Views:	1 Size:	420.6 KB ID:	117317
    Last edited by QuarterMaster; 11-09-2016, 11:58 AM.
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Congratulations on the successful recovery! I bet your happy as two pigs in fresh mud
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Congratulations! No worse feeling than going home with an empty boat-stand!

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

There are worse feelings, but it sure a punch in the stomach. Sigh....
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
          Welcome to my underwater realm!
          • Aug 2009

I'm exceptionally impressed with an 8ft deep submergence of the cylinder for 59 days without a drip entering it. I'd say the seal test was a pass...

Comment

• Rick Teskey
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Jan 2009

At least it was a pond with a defined area if it was a lake ... taps would be playing softly

Comment

• QuarterMaster
              Rear Admiral
              • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Rick Teskey
              At least it was a pond with a defined area if it was a lake ... taps would be playing softly
              They play taps each night lol! Always had a calming effect laying in my bunk when I was stationed there, or any base I was at for that matter.

v/r "Sub" Ed

USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                Rear Admiral
                • Sep 2015

Originally posted by SubHuman
                I'm exceptionally impressed with an 8ft deep submergence of the cylinder for 59 days without a drip entering it. I'd say the seal test was a pass...
                Hear hear! I was REALLY expecting "Sub" Eddie to need to toss EVERYTHING now and beg me for $$ for a new cylinder. (What's a dad's for lol??) I'm expecting Rich Kohlbrecher to drop it off at my house this Saturday. He lives 10 minutes from the Base and offered to drop it off to me in Long Island on his way back to Breezy Point in Queens. What a guy!! lol

Before I ship it down to Eddie in SC, I'll do a "post mortem" video pulling her apart.

v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Sep 2015

Not as short as I'd like, but hoping it proves informative.

SUB LOST: USS BLUEBACK SS-581, a "Special" Report

Another in the "Not so reality TV" Series brought to you by.....
                  INDIVIDUAL ANEMICS
                  Electric Model Boat Division
                  ...a "sub" Division of MRCSB (where the rent is TOO DAMN HIGH!!
                  Last edited by QuarterMaster; 11-22-2016, 10:11 AM.
                  v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• MFR1964
                    Detail Nut of the First Order
                    • Sep 2010

I surely enjoyed the vid, an left a comment for you.

Manfred.
                    I went underground

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Sep 2015

...and this is ALL I have to say on that.

USS BLUEBACK SS-581: FINAL Refit Log 2016-11-30 (1:96 SWM)

Another in the "Not so reality TV" Series brought to you by.....
                      INDIVIDUAL ANEMICS
                      Electric Model Boat Division
                      ...a "sub" Division of MRCSB (where the rent is TOO DAMN HIGH!!
                      v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Sep 2015

Originally posted by MFR1964
                        I surely enjoyed the vid, an left a comment for you.

Manfred.
                        Sorry, wrong shout out... "Marcus: SubCommittee Board" s/b "Manfred: Sub-Driver Board" My bad, my apologies!
                        v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

Working...