X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • silentrunner777
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Apr 2014

ARKMODEL Type VII

I believe this is the first plastic model 'kit' I bought in years. All the parts are well molded, very minimal flash. As it is designed for RC use, parts are included for the bow and stern plane controls as well as the rudder linkage. Torpedo tube doors can be made to open and close. The conning tower needs either a photoetch deck, or several holes drilled to allow the tower to vent. All the control surface bushings and nuts to bolt the hull together are pre-installed. Included are 2 4mm driveshafts threaded for prop nuts that are also molded in. I have already ordered a pair of 35mm brass props for it. The instructions? are......printed. Plenty of pictures to show parts placement and provided decals have markings for 6 boats-2 are the same, early and late marking-for a
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Thanks for sharing. So where are you getting the props from? Is there a photoetch set available?
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• silentrunner777
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Apr 2014

I got the props from Engel. Bob Martin has a complete photoetch set available, though at the price, I personally could not justify it. It is, however, a very nice set.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

Just an FYI (and forum mods feel free to take this down if it's conflict of interest), but I'll be stocking these kits again in exceptionally limited quantities. First come, first served. Price is $395. I also have beautiful photoetched detail sets available.

Ordering page from the Nautilus Drydocks: http://www.rc-submarine.com/product-...2-778dc68bb88a
        Exceptional scale models, accessories and RC components with a focus on military, sci-fi and fantasy submarines.

Comment

• silentrunner777
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Apr 2014

a couple of minor mods are needed to facilitate removal of the stern section for WTC access. The rear section is trapped between the forward section, and if left in stock form, the hull would have to be spread apart to remove the stern. Removal of a bit of plastic will now allow the stern to slide into the front with no issues and then secured with the 3 bolts.

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

That's fine looking trim job there Michael. Looks like it was trimmed and filed flat. What covers the head of the screw?

Comment

• silentrunner777
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Apr 2014

The kit has molded bolt covers for the fore and aft hull section retaining bolts. Will look into substitute bolts for the rear and use magnets to hold them in place. Magnets shown are much to large for this application, but smaller are available.

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

OK so where did you get the magnets? Questions , questions

Comment

• silentrunner777
                  Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                  • Apr 2014

Originally posted by greenman407
                  OK so where did you get the magnets? Questions , questions
                  Large selection of high quality MAGCRAFT® brand rare earth neodymium disc magnets for sale. A thin flat circular magnet where the thickness does not exceed the diameter. Disc magnets are the most commonly used magnet shape and the most versatile. They are used in holding applications where a hole is drilled and the magnet is recessed into the hole. They are commonly used with cup assemblies to increase their holding strength.

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by silentrunner777
                    Thanks Michael, loaded in my "Favorites" for future cunsumption

Comment

• silentrunner777
                      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                      • Apr 2014

The supplied bolts will probably not lend themselves to positive magnet use, so I will change these 2 bolts for 3mm button head socket bolts to allow for magnet to be glued inside the bolt cover. One word of caution, make sure you rum a 3mm tap through all the bolt holes as several of mine were filled with glue? , melted plastic and who knows what. Some photos of the inside, full length, torpedo tube mounts premolded (for Arkmodels launch tubes), nice open space for WTC installation.
                      Last edited by silentrunner777; 10-09-2016, 07:49 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Mine has been ordered. Bob says itll probably take a couple of weeks. Im going to wait on ordering the photoetch set until I see the model.

Comment

• silentrunner777
                          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                          • Apr 2014

A bit more. I found several of the molded in nuts not securely attached, and in a few cases, simply pushed out of the holes. I seems that they were installed by pressing the serrated nuts into hot plastic, securing the nuts when the plastic cools. This is not the case, so a bead of gap filling SG was applied around the bases to secure them. Pictures show the bolt cover, which fits very well as all 4 are molded to the shape of the hull. Torpedo tube doors hinged and fit quite well, now to figure out actuating linkage to open and close them. Lower conning tower halves assembled and fit is perfect as does the tower deck. If one plans on operating torpedoes, it might be wise to not to glue the forward halves together as there is little to no access in this area.

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Michael, if you are not careful ,youll have this kit done in no time and then youll have to buy something else.

Comment

• silentrunner777
                              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by greenman407
                              Michael, if you are not careful ,youll have this kit done in no time and then youll have to buy something else.
                              Pre-assembly is going fairly quick, finding all the little bugs to sort out is half the fun. Several places don't 'quite' fit as they should in the deck area. This is, I feel, due to all the interlocking parts that will probably not be so interlocking when done. I have also found some of the kit bolts to be too short, longer, button head bolts were ordered. While it may be a fairly simple build, I will spend a lot of time painting and detailing. I have plenty 'something else' in the shop right now, a 1/72 scale Alfa, my Tecumseh is in need of refit, as is the SSN-777 boat I have. I also acquired a Sheerline Type II that needs lots of love. I was able to get all the parts for the Type II from Chris @ Sheerline, so it may be done by spring.

Comment

Working...