X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Albion
    Captain
    • Dec 2008

Skipjack, yet another

Slowly building up my Skipjack. Despite having the hull halves tight together and allowed them plenty of time to cure, on releasing them ive found a big warp. Once i bond the lower bow section on, i believe i can create a closure which will pull the hull together, but concerned that long term the force will cause more problems. Should i cut through one of the hull joins (lower hull) and remake the joint so that its tight at the bow? Or maybe some heat on the hull to try and relieve the hull?
    Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Albion, it's kinda hard to see the picture is so small. Are you using the "z" cut on your hull? Do you still have the indexing pins in place? Personally I think that I would just put a screw thru from the top into a bracket above the Subdriver and pull the hull down
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Albion
      Captain
      • Dec 2008

Does this work better? I have replaced most of the indexing pins with magnets, and also glued card to the inside of hull to help alignment. PULLING it together will definitely work, but wondering about the long term stress on the hull.
      Last edited by Albion; 10-06-2016, 01:33 AM.
      Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Albion
        Captain
        • Dec 2008

not sure why they are tiny, i guess i need to dig out the good camera

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Albion
          not sure why they are tiny, i guess i need to dig out the good camera
          Have you followed this ?

Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Albion
            Captain
            • Dec 2008

I did, and checked large. Let me try using a camera rather than phone and see how those images look

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

I don't think I would worry about long term stress on that plastic. It'll be fine. As far as pictures go, both my Fuji digital cameras take pictures in the 3800 to 4000 range. They used to post fine. Lately I get a message from the caswell site that my pictures are too big. When they do post, they post small. I have been using "Picasso" to resize them Down to 1600 and it's been working OK
              IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Scott T
                Commander
                • May 2009

Maybe you could wrap it with rubber bands and heat it up with electric blanket to reduce the stress.
                I wonder if you could heat before cutting. Those blankets can get pretty toasty so be cautious.
                Last edited by Scott T; 10-06-2016, 01:19 PM. Reason: couldn't help myself

Comment

• Albion
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2008

in post reply, i click on the paperclip, then , upload attachments, select a file, then click fullsize, then post reply Click image for larger version

Name:	magents 1a.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	1.7 KB
ID:	116569

Comment

• Albion
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2008

this is same image clicked large Click image for larger version

Name:	magents 1a.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1.7 KB
ID:	116571

Comment

• Albion
                      Captain
                      • Dec 2008

here i clicked camera icon, upload

Comment

• Kazzer
                        • Aug 2008

Albion

Email the pics to me. You have my address. I'll try to load them.

Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Albion
                          Captain
                          • Dec 2008

Thanks, but i would still like to try and figure out what im doing wrong :(

Comment

• Albion
                            Captain
                            • Dec 2008

Had a look in detail at the hull seem and spotted that it's actually my alignment tabs which are causing the problem, carefully cut away at the channel in the hull join, if you have his kit you know what I mean, and whilst it isn't 100%, it only takes a small force to hold hull together. Now need to make a latch .

Comment

• Albion
                              Captain
                              • Dec 2008

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1322.JPG Views:	1 Size:	7.2 KB ID:	116795Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1323.JPG Views:	1 Size:	7.3 KB ID:	116796Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1324.JPG Views:	1 Size:	7.2 KB ID:	116797Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1325.JPG Views:	1 Size:	6.9 KB ID:	116798 Retried after todays discussion in the other thread Medium seems to work!!!.

We've recently had a dwarf clairvoyant arrested in Singapore, however they escaped. This mornings headline stated Small Medium at large!

I will get some photos of current state of the hull join

Last edited by Albion; 10-11-2016, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Working...