Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardRock
    Vice Admiral
    • Mar 2013

I'm with you Bart; five poofteenths of an inch divided by three with a half twist and a nat's knacker over sixty four = 2.75mm so simple!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Albion
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]31493[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31494[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31495[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31496[/ATTACH]

Here we go, shoved foam inside, as per the opened up photo. Got it so that mast and a bit of rudder were above waterline. Then put another piece of the green noodle inside, making sure that all my foam was below waterline. The first attempt it sat very high, so I cut 1/2 inch off the length and tried again. You can see the result. Not sitting level because the foam is moving inside but it's just above waterline by my eyes. The foam is same diameter as my wtc tube, so added a bit and called that the tank size.
      Quick work, sir. Tell me how you're going to compartment your WTC/SD.

And I like your below waterline break-up of color. Tell us something about the technique you employed. Good looking model there!

M
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Good luck with the car. And I love the 'bread-board'. Any port in a storm, as they say.

Your WTC is coming around nicely. Yes: measure twice, cut once. Good policy.

Good stuff, sir!

M
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albion
          Captain
          • Dec 2008

The drip trays round the edge, have the advantage of holding cylinders in place while you are working on other parts ;)
          Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Albion
            Captain
            • Dec 2008

Slow work over weekend , but got the wtc cradles fixed in place. Also made new snort pipe which is hidden in mast. Lastly fired up the Rx and started checking servos. Annoyingly the vent servo which is now tucked inside the tube is NFG. Need to see if I can install a new one without disturbing the bulk head. Grrrr
            Attached Files
            Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Albion
              Slow work over weekend , but got the wtc cradles fixed in place. Also made new snort pipe which is hidden in mast. Lastly fired up the Rx and started checking servos. Annoyingly the vent servo which is now tucked inside the tube is NFG. Need to see if I can install a new one without disturbing the bulk head. Grrrr
              You can swap out that servo without need of pulling the after ballast bulkhead. You'll need a very long hemostat. remove the two wheel-collars on the wet side of the pushrod; remove the dry-side servo bracket; grasp the servo with the hemostat and yank the entire unit out; replace.

M
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albion
                Captain
                • Dec 2008

Managed to get it out without disturbing pushrods. New one installed and working. I must have been a ginocologyst in a past life. Next job is soldering the wiring loom, air pump controller etc etc.

Comment

• redboat219
                  Admiral
                  • Dec 2008

This is a pure SNORT non SAS?
                  Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Albion
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2008

Snort only, simple and dirty

Comment

• redboat219
                      Admiral
                      • Dec 2008

Happy Father's Day to all the dads here.
                      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

Yes, Happy Father's day!

Albion, you used silicon as your seal on the black bulkhead. May I ask why you did not use a o-ring? or was it more an issue of convenience?
                        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Subculture
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

If the o-ring groove is a bit shallow for existing o-rings, then you might might find you can use another size. e.g. you can swap imperial for metric o-rings and vice versa. Gives a bit of wiggle room.

Silicone rubber o-rings also squish down a bit easier than nitrile/buna-n, but have greater tensile and shear strength than silicone caulking, which has all the strength of wet pasta.

Comment

• Albion
                            Captain
                            • Dec 2008

There's no forces on the silicone, and the o ring section is already pretty small. Let's see how it goes

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

No criticism, laziness is perfectly acceptable. I had repaired an old wtc from a well known submarine pioneer here in the USA and he also used silicon to fill the gasket space. It worked well for him!
                              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Subculture
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

Simply bearings is good for small oil seals. they have a couple that may do the trick, on at 0.18" and one at 0.188". So a bit under or a bit over.

Comment

Working...