X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

My prototype of a semi-aspirated ballast tank system

Use a pump to force water into a tank to dive - pump out to surface. Should the tank be vented - aspirated - allowed to breath air, you'll be fine at PD snorting, however going deeper and your just changing the water in the tank and you will not surface.

Next seal the tank - you then have the mainstay for what myself and a lot of Aussie sub drivers have used for years. You compress the air in the tank with each drop of water forced in, and you need a reasonably rigid tank to deal with the pressure. Eventually the pump will quit pushing water, typically IME its around 60% full. You need a valve to hold the water in the tank, which you release to surface.

With the sealed tank i have many years of fun, and parts fatigue, mainly pumps, but the concept has worked well.
    I have played quite a bit with Gas with snort, and IMO this remains as rock steady approach to sailing. AND if it wasn't for my persistent curiosity I would have happily stayed with it.

You'd have to be on the dark side of the moon to not know that I have some strong opinions about RCABS. I won't regurgitate them too much in this new thread except to say here is a photo of my RCABS conversion:

RCABS does in some circumstances (low reserve bouyancy boats) work well. But it ain't the system for all situations.
    RCABS does have a place in the hobby and some use it as a system within its limitations- but sadly there are those who think its a real religion - lets call them the Sub Scientologists. Sure as **** feels like that -some $400A out of pocket and no chance of refund. The cultist following, by some, of this ballast system -forsaking all others -is not in the name of hard science or from a view point of adding substance to the literature, but the drive and push has more to do with a sad little soap opera involving burnt egos and petty jealously. Scrap away the surface and you will find a deep hate of gas ballast systems for one reason only - David Merriman's success. Sad but the target of RCABS fundamentalists is never pumps, pistons, it always tends to be gas.

Moving right on long. Some in the hobby myself included are in it to learn and to experiment with new techniques and systems.
    For others the end point is stick time and lots of it. I seem to swing between wanted stick time and learning. If you want an off the shelf fully backed product - you can't go past the Subdriver range that Caswell / Merriman put out, and I have in the past gone this way for almost ready to dive fun.

But.... Getting back to that pesky learning and curiosity of mine - Jim Russell - the grandfather of the hobby in Australia, recently fixed me up with a new pump system and solenoid valve. The system can be used as I have many times previously - with a sealed tank, and given that this unit is a geared pump that stays in the dry section of the boat it shows cf my old equipment a greater degree of reliability. Its a good pump- it will pump against 3 bar (around 45PSI) on 12 volts before quitting. Its called a "Dark Horse" geared pump- flow rate max is 2.8L per minute.

Here is a photo of the setup in a 3.5" end cap. Solenoid is closest the cap. You can see a simple on / off micro switch setup for servo operation against the momentary micro switch arms.

Jim in talking with me about different setups had been testing the pump solenoid on a range of boats. I explained that one thing I really did not want to go back to for my Collins sub was using a sealed tank as the airspace tends to oversize the tank so much it would compromise in this small boat around a (1m) the avaliable space for torpedoes and other goodies. Jim suggested I give the pump / solenoid a try but in union with a float valve. So doing so, the tank is temporarily aspirated right up until its around 70% full of water. At this point, a float valve (which Jim modifies from a fish tank accessory) pushes a float against the vent sealing the tank. At this point you boat is at decks awash or slightly lower, and the remaining pump in cycle occurs as a sealed tank. Fully dived you surface by reserving the pump and opening the solenoid, the pressure in the tank rockets the water back out, the float valve recedes and at snorting depth you empty the rest.

That little float valve made by Jim - the nipple on the top connects to a snorkel:

I am sure this has been done before (semi aspirated tank). The advantages over a sealed tank is you get away with a small airspace in the tank and you can have a smaller tank more full of water, which means less sloshing. BUT you won't come back like a rocket to the surface they way Gas will pop you back.

Unlike the Jihad sorry RCABS fundamentalists, I won't dare be arrogant enough to say this is a system for all situations but in preliminary tests in my Collins - where I need 700mls difference between true water line and dived, this system is showing great promise.

Here are some photos of construction.

You'll note the back end is the newly engineered Caswell/Merriman 3.5" engine room with twin motors and a single shaft through a reduction gear box. In the fore ground are PVC end caps and a PVC conduit that connects forward and aft WT sections. Note in the background the corresponding hole for the conduit in the 3.5" end cap. After the tank is glued together and pressure tested for leaks the end caps of the WT sections are glued on to the ballast tank end caps
    Last edited by Slats; 02-24-2010, 09:42 PM. Reason: spellin
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

More photos
    Next is my "old faithful". This slide guided mitre saw and jig is ONLY used for cutting WTC lexan tubes and PVC piping. Its by far therefore the laziest piece of workshop equipment I have, but it is the simplest way to make precise right angle cuts in these need to be accurate components. I therefore reserve and preserve this tool for that purpose. The wife wanted to "borrow" this for some picture framing, I drove her immediately to the hardware store and got her another mitre box.

Here you see a PVC tank section prior to drilling for the pick-up inlet /outlet in the bottom of the tank.
    Note the cradle - a must for assisting in getting the hole square

Here you see the endcaps push fitted to the PVC pipe. Electrical tape is placed around the abutting surface of the endcaps to effectively "mask" of this area to avoid overruns of the PVC pressure glue.

The primed ends of the PVC tank using pink priming fluid. The inner surfaces of the PVC end caps need the same treatment.
    Last edited by Slats; 02-24-2010, 08:38 PM. Reason: clarrity
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Kazzer
      • Aug 2008

John!

Great stuff! Pity you didn't have a picture of the waste bin with the lid open, showing the contents of your recent 'disposal'.

Less we forget regarding RCABS. There are those in that clique who claimed it as their own invention, until I found plans from the UK model vendor Darnell. The plans were drawn up in the 1950s and showed an old steam engine piston connected to a motor, pumping air into a rugby ball bladder. There was a flurry of activity from these guys, as they blustered their way out of the embarrassment when I posted the Darnell drawings over on the SC.
      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Slats
        Vice Admiral
        • Aug 2008

Baffles installed in the tank - simple styrene circles cut out with holes drilled through and CA's into position.
        The large centre hole is for the conduit going through the ballast tank. The baffle holes could be a little smaller - so I ripped these out and fitted smaller ones.

The assembled tank

The assembled tank - upside down with the lower pickup glued in place. Note the conduit glued through the tank and one of the WTC end caps await to be glued on to the ballast tank end cap.
        John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
          Vice Admiral
          • Aug 2008

You'll note the Collins is unusual - the beam is virtually used by the diameter of the 3.5" cylinder - but there is still loads of space above the top of the cylinder and the deck and the cylinder sits on saddles well above the hull's base. To work out how big a tank I needed - I simply push fitted the PVC end caps against the sealed tank and using sealed end caps for the forward and aft compartments of the WTC (fully decked out with RC gear), I was able to figure on tank "empty" space to get her at her surfaced water line. I then experimented by proportionally filling the ballast tank and push fitting the end caps again to get her down to a point where 1/2" of sail was sticking out. Measuring this quantity gave me a volume that I wanted to achieve for tank capacity making an allowance for air. Further testing of the constructed tank pumping water from a measured bucket of water verified the tank volume

Note atop the tank the pick up nipple (Black) for the snorkel line, and the groove (brass) connection for sail plane operation.
          John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
            Vice Admiral
            • Aug 2008

In conclusion - this is a simple system and I hope that it proves reliable in the future.

Revisiting the pump picture - you note that it occupies a lot of real estate - almost all of the diameter of a 3.5" end cap.

The WTC end caps that abut the ballast tank are glued to the PVC tank end caps with a 2 part glue called "Titan Bond", a Bostik product which is simply extraordinarily strong water proof and I recommend it. That said if the concept of this works out long term what I would do differently is re-model the 3.5" endcaps that connect to the ballast tank and add tabs within the end caps to take stainless screws, there by fixing the lexan tube for and aft the tank in place.

Hope you like

Best
            John
            Last edited by Slats; 02-24-2010, 08:31 AM.
            John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
              Vice Admiral
              • Aug 2008

No thread of this nature would be complete without a basic overview diagram of how this all works.
              Hope this clarrifys the basics of my prototype herein.

John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
                Vice Admiral
                • Aug 2008

A parts list for this system

Pump and solenoid:
                Jim Russell at Model Sub Systems Australia supplied the pump and solenoid from a distributor in Queensland Australia called John Darke. Cost for the pump and solenoid apx $130A

Ballast tank:
                PVC drain pipe 90mm and 90mm push fit end caps - glued together with "Green" type PVC pressure cement AFTER all surfaces were Primed with PVC pink primer (total cost of PVC materials about $8A - small pressure cement qty and primer were around another $10 each)

Float valve:
                The float valve comes from Jim Russell at Model Sub Systems Australia - Its PVC on the outside and can be welded into place atop of the PVC tank with either PVC cement - I find CA works just fine. Cost of valve $12.50A

Ballast tank pickup:
                6mm elbow vac fitting joint -position glued in place with CA first and then permanently fixed in the PVC tank with Bostik "Titan Bond" 2 part glue. Got this part form automotive supplier cost for two units in the one pack around $4A

Conduit through tank:
                22mm OD PVC conduit - glued in place with PVC cement - gap sealed with CA or Titan Bond- Conduit sold in 1m length around $4A

3.5" End caps
                - had some here for mounting the pump / solenoid too. You can buy them from Mikes Sub Works or Caswell - cost is around $21US each - know as a Forward end cap (FEC35 Forward End Cap 3.5") see http://www.caswellplating.com/models/bulkheads.html

3.5" lexan tube
                - lost track of the cost of this - Caswell supply it in various lengths, which is where I got mine from

3.5" Motor end cap
                -For a reliable unit - and a great saver of time in getting components together, I recommend what I call the new 3.5" Engine room (motor end cap) from Caswell / Merriman. Cost is $200US but IMO its so worth it.
                You get twim motors powering a single shaft through a reduction gear box, you get the push rods WT sleaves installed, a tray for equipment and all the other nice hardware too. This unit on its own supports a multitude of different ballast systems in that its an adaptable engine room. (Product no. is MB35S Single Screw 3.5" Motor Bulkhead System)
                See http://www.caswellplating.com/models/bulkheads.html

Other stuff
                Futaba 6 Ch FM radio and RX on 36Mhz (legal in Australia)

Electronize FR15 series Electronic Speed Control with NO BEC - this has pot adjustment for frequency control adjustment and a pot adjustment for speed control (raising and lowering motor/s rpm).
                See http://www.electronize.co.uk/model_e...ics_frames.htm

S3003 Standard size Futaba servos x3 for - Rudder / Rear planes / Sail planes

Caswell supplied mini servo for turning on and reversing pump / solenoid etc See Micro servos on this page (http://www.caswellplating.com/models/transmitter.html)

Park (step type) 3A BEC - supplies a 5v power supply to the RX

Leveller and Fail safe - combined unit "ADF – Angle Driver with Integrated Failsafe" designed by Kevin Mcleod and sold on the Caswell site. This is the best leveller I have ever had, and the FS in the combined unit is great
                See http://www.caswellplating.com/models/pitch.html

7.2v NimH battery - made up of 6 x 1.2v sub C 3300mA cells with solder tabs.

Caswell supplied on/off switch with water proof boot (see http://forum.sub-driver.com/showthre...=7266#post7266)

J
                Last edited by Slats; 02-24-2010, 08:57 PM. Reason: added text
                John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Albion
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2008

Ok! Let me check if I understand this correctly. You start the pump, and it will pump water into the tank, with air being displaced out the vent, as the water level in the tank increases it will close off the vent , and finally pressurize the tank. I know it is float operated, but does the float valve close at the same or similar time to the snorkel being closed, or is the snorkel still above water level at this point?

To surface you vent the tank using solenoid valve which will displace the pressurized water, and should leave the tank at the point the float valve is starting to open. You then start the pump in opposite direction, i assume if the valve is still closed it won't be a problem as the pump will open the valve under suction condition. By this point your snorkel head should have breached the surface and you start to draw air into the tank, until emptied of water.

Seems an excellent balance of effectiveness and simplicity. My one concern is that the gear pump if left switched on WILL break something. Does it stall at 3 bar, i.e. the pump stop, or it just keeps spinning but cant increase the pressure?

If it did keep going most likely it would blow the tube between the ballast tank and pump off its union. You can argue that you will time the tank filling and ensure it isn't overfilled, but Murphy's law is always around the corner. For safety i would add either a relief valve to the tank or piping, or a level switch in the tank, contacts system maybe, although if boat is bow down or stern down depending on where this is fitted it could cause superfluous readings.

As per our previous discussions the gear pump is the way to go with this system, it will deliver a constant flow at constant speed irrespective of pressure, unlike as previously documented the centrifugal type pump will not enjoy varying discharge heads.
                  Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Slats
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Albion
                    Ok let me check if I understand this correctly. You start the pump, and it will pump water into the tank, with air being displaced out the vent, as the water level in the tank increases it will colse off the vent , and finally presurise the tank. I know it is float operated, but does the float valve close at the same or similar time to the snorkel being closed, or is the snorkel still above water level at this point?

A)The moment the water level hits the float valve the valve closes off the vent. The snorkel top remains open and is of no consequence as the snorkel line is connected to the vent that is closed. At the point the vent closes the air supply through the snorkel to the tank is cut. The boats position at this point of the valve closing the vent is decks awash of slightly lower. So yes the snorkel top itself could be contained inside the sail completely.

To surface you vent the tank using solenoid valve which will displace the pressurised water, and should leave the tank at the point the float valve is starting to open. You then start the pump in oposite direction, i assume if the valve is still closed it won't be a problem as the pump will open the valve under suction condition. By this point your snorkel head should have breached the surface and you start to draw air into the tank, until emptied of water.

A)Fully dived - the pressure inside the tank is used to surface the boat back to decks awash condition, at which point the valve opens due to the float valve falling due to reduced water level in the tank - a function of gravity. There is no suction at all in the pump out phase. Initially under pressure the pump is pumping out with accompanying positive pressure - hence the need for a solenoid check valve to hold the water pumped in under pressure in the tank.

Seems an excellent balance of effectiveness and simplicity. My one concern is that the gear pump if left switched on WILL break something. Does it stall at 3 bar, ie the pump stop, or it just keeps spiinign but cant increase the pressure?

A)My concern initially too, but Jim Russell has done hours of testing - the part that fails first is the silicon hose to the tank inlet. If this blows the water under pressure comes rocketing out and you surface. Hose failure tends only to occur at 3 bar running on 12volts. At 3 bar the pump runs but will not force anymore water in the tank. I run on 7.2 v so pressure is lower.

IUf it did keep going most likely it would blow the tube between the ballast tank and pump off its union. You can argue that you will time the tank filling and ensure it isn't overfilled, but murphy's law is always around the corner. For safety i would add either a relief valve to the tank or piping, or a level switch in the tank, contacts system maybe, although if boat is bow down or stern down depending on where this is fitted it could cause superfluous readings.

A)Yes again tube blows off and in doing so equalises the tank. So no you don't need and other relief valve - if you did I be happy to sail out my days with a GAS system.

As per our previous discussions the gear pump is the way to go with this system, it will deleiver a constant flow at constant speed irrespective of pressure, unlike as previously documented the centrifugal type pump will not enjoy varying discharge heads.
                    Agree the geared pump setup is a departure from my centrifugal type pump setups - proof will be in the longevity of the system.
                    John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Albion
                      Captain
                      • Dec 2008

Sounds a great solution. The pump and solenoid valve are in series then (not parallel). So the valve must be open with pump running and you close when pump stops to prevent leakage back through the pump.
                      Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Slats
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Albion
                        Sounds a great solution. The pump and solenoid valve are in series then (not parallel). So the valve must be open with pump running and you close when pump stops to prevent leakage back through the pump.
                        Exactly the solenoid valve according to Jim needs a minimum of 6v to open, but Andy (Subculture) has stated that a lot of solenoids need less voltage than this.
                        John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Subculture
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Make sure you always test this empirically.

I don't want anyone having a go at me for running a 6 volt solenoid off a lower voltage and finding it doesn't have enough torque to do the job.

Comment

• Slats
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                            Make sure you always test this empirically.

I don't want anyone having a go at me for running a 6 volt solenoid off a lower voltage and finding it doesn't have enough torque to do the job.
                            Agree - in fact Jim has done precisely this by testing different voltages out with this particular solenoid - with this one 6v is the minimum to open the valve.
                            John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by kazzer
                              John!

Great stuff! Pity you didn't have a picture of the waste bin with the lid open, showing the contents of your recent 'disposal'.
                              Yeah could have but its done now closing the lid and moving on is great. I think were all pretty much over the RCABS debate, a bit like being flogged with a wet newspaper by members of the flat earth society.

Whilst my design for a semi aspirated tank setup is new to me, and indeed Jim Russell has tried it albeit with a different WTC configeration, I like to know (curosity) from others who might have tried it or the origins of when and where perhaps the idea was first used.
                              John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

Working...