X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cliffhanger67
    Lieutenant
    • Oct 2013

SSBN Harpoon

A new design concept for a stealth type submarine. It does not represent any actual submarine. It represents my idea of a future submarine. It is approximately 1:144 scale. The boat is 36" long. It uses a Caswell SD from the Seawolf modified motor. Other main features are the oversized rudder and type B oversized 7 blade propeller enclosed by a velocity tube which serves also as a rudder mounting point. The rudder is actuated by a cable system. The SD is latched onto the lower hull via a pair of latches. The upper half of the hull is held by a socket at forward and a latch at the aft end. no tools to open the sub.
    The boat is made of wood, epoxy sealed/painted. metal inserts reinforce critical features of the boat. For main ballasts, two rods disguised as torpedoes slung under the hull does the job. Sliding it fore or aft balances the boat. Final buoyancy adjustment is by small pieces of metals held by magnet inside the forward lower hull.
    Primary reason I used wood is equipment I have and my experience. I fiberglass or plastic type hull is in the future iteration. This boat was my prototype to study what it needs to build a submarine.
    My first venture into R/C toys. Video on u tube ssbn harpoon. I had to slow it down so we can get the video.
    Plus the fun and satisfaction of creating ones own idea.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3881.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	102780Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3888.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	102781Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3889.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	102782