Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oztruck
    Commander
    • May 2010

Looks like it could be a winner, but I might pass for the moment.

Comment

• oztruck
      Commander
      • May 2010

Managed to get a couple of photos of the beast running submerged

Comment

• oztruck
        Commander
        • May 2010

If you look hard enough at the photos, in the first photo you can see the emergency buoy being pulled along after it has been released and in the second photo you can see on the rear deck the hole where it lives. Both of the emergency systems worked very well. I will post some photos of the way it is set up as soon as I can.

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Absolutely wonderful work!
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• oztruck
            Commander
            • May 2010

Finally got around to scratch building the twin anti aircraft guns in the conning tower.

And this is the emergency gas system.

As you can see it is operated by a push-rod from inside the water tight thingy, but both the gas cylinder and valve are mounted externally to the water tight thingy. The gas cylinder can be removed or exchanged in seconds and because it is clear it is easy to tell how much gas is left and it takes the guess work out of refilling.

Comment

• oztruck
              Commander
              • May 2010

Sorry about the dodgy photos yesterday, hope these are better for you.

Comment

• oztruck
                Commander
                • May 2010

Since everything is in place and working to my satisfaction it was time to weather the beast.

What I am trying to achieve is the look of a boat that is in service with little time for cosmetic looks but not ready for the junk yard

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

Just enough weathering. I see so many over do it. When I look at photos of the original subs, I see light weathering for the most part. Once in awhile I see heavy wear and tear. This looks fantastic! Cheers!
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Scott154
                    Ensign
                    • Mar 2011

Chris, Just went through your post on this wonderful build, having seen her at the park and running you blow me away with how clever you are with all your tricks and your W/T unit. this Sub is differently a credit to you very cool. Scott

Comment

• oztruck
                      Commander
                      • May 2010

Hi Scott and welcome aboard. Thanks for the nice words. Hope to catch up with you soon.

cheers Chris (oztruck)

Comment

• oztruck
                        Commander
                        • May 2010

Hi all, I picked up a cheep Cam corder today and gave it a test.
                        The video is a bit boring but it will give you a good CLOSE look at the i25.

There is video of both sides as well as a top view.

Let me know what you think I can do to improve the model.

B1 Class Japenese Submarine in 1/72 scale from all angles

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

Wow, I do not know what to add! Amazing work.

Comment

• Scott T
                            Commander
                            • May 2009

That is great work. You asked for comments so maybe a little weathering on the
                            towers roof. It probably is right with the deck weathering but in the video it look
                            closer to a large freshly painted roof. Maybe foot path wear.
                            It really does look great.

Scott

Comment

• oztruck
                              Commander
                              • May 2010

Thanks Scott, you are correct in what you say about the roof. I didn't even think about the roof when I was weathering the boat.

I guess a large flat area like that with all sorts of things the birds could sit in/on and out of the way of human contact would soon get very messy. Add to that that because it was flat any water left up there would evaporate and leave the salt behind.

Mix the salt and bird droppings together add a little heat to open up any faults in the paint and away it goes.

Any other ideas?

Comment

• oztruck
                                Commander
                                • May 2010

Found this interesting Video. It's not a B1 but still good

In World War 2, the Japanese created a sub that could carry bombers anywhere in the world. Even though it was ahead of it's time, how effective would the sub...

Comment

Working...